• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My preinstalled Adobe CS6 is not suppose to work anymore?

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear ADOBE and OS developers OR to whom it may concern

Please listen.

Photoshop CS 6 does not work on my almost brand new iMac anymore.
I need it for my work as an artist.
It works for me. 
I wish for no upgrading.
Please let me focus on my work instead of having to constantly (re)learning the updated softwares and versions of this and that.

I need my preinstalled photoshop and indesign and illustrator, as it enables me to work offline.
The wifi connection here is not reliable. and my income unpredictable, I cannot have a monthly cost of a subscription. Therefore I payed for the entire adobe package, no one said it would expire within a couple of years! No one told me that I would not be able to buy any upgraded version of it either, but being forced to subscribe to an online version.

Please listen.

Please stop.
Please help me,
what can I do?

Kind regards,

Eva

ps When will someone offer a system that do not have to go upgrading and change ALL the  the time, when will someone genius and generous develop a system where we get the option to keep it as it is, yet still be online when needed. I would gladly pay more for that.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user Forum, so you are not really addressing Adobe here, even though some Adobe employees thankfully have been dropping by.

»Photoshop CS 6 does not work on my almost brand new iMac anymore.«

And this is where I stopped reading … please see on this page the System Requirements of Photoshop CS6: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements-old-versions.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Thanks for the link, but I am not able to understand one bit of it. Sorry. Not at all technical. I just want my tools to work, and they have up until recently. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac Photoshop CS6 can work with 

• Mac OS X v10.6.8 or v10.7. Adobe Creative Suite 3, 4, 5, CS5.5, and CS6 applications support Mac OS X v10.8 or v10.9 when installed on Intel-based systems.**

If you choose a computer that does not run one of those OS versions then that’s on you and not somehow Adobe’s fault. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it did work very well unril resently. Thanks for info, I'll screenshot it in case I get help to have a look at it. I guess the moment one has upgraded to Catalina it is irreversible? That Catalina is one of those OS version that are not mentioned in your list? (Trying to speak Greek here, sorry if my question makes no sense. One choose to work with mac because ( in the old days) it used to be so easy and you wouldn't really have to learn about computers.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, Yes, Catalina is Mac OS X 10.15 but the issue is that Catalina will only accept 64 bits programs, and while CS6 is in 64 bits, its installer is still a 32 bits application, so you are out of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catalina is macOS 10.15 – that’s several versions too modern for such an outdated Photoshop version. 

No commercial program can realistically provide infinite upward compatibility for an OS, neither Windows nor Mac. 

Theoretically one can downgrade from Catalina.  

If you are utterly unwilling to use Adobe’s Cloud License the Photoshop alternatives I am currently most aware of (not from personal use but from mentions on these Fora) are 

• paid: Affinity Photo 

• freeware: Gimp 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh ok. Thanks. Will see if it can be downgraded then. That is a bit of a relief. I suppose it will only be a temporay solution?  Yet hopefully buy me time to research for other options. 

Sorry for ranting about in here.  I am just so frustrated and stressed. And it does feel unfair that I cannot go ahead and buy an uppgrated version of CS6. Subscription is not going to be an option. Thanks for your patience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do a Google search you »mac downgrade from catalina« you will find some posts, but personally I would not want to run the risk (at least not unless I had a back-up). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"no one said it would expire within a couple of years!"

Hi Eva,

CS6 will still work if you do not change your hardware or OS and continuing working on the same system. It's when you upgrade your hardware and OS that you run into incompatibilities and things stop working. If you still have your old Mac with its old OS, then you can use CS6 there.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good thing I had stopped reading that post … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jane, thankss. Yes, as I am not at all skilled in this IT world, I did in good faith believe I have to accept any upgrade to still be online when needed. Now I know otherwise. My old mackbook which I use when I travel does not have a very big screen, so harder to multitask between all the adobe programs and images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some folks will get a larger monitor when using a MacBook at home. If CS6 still works okay there, then that would be an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's curious how people are happy to buy a new computer, but resent paying for the software to run on it and state they need it for their work but are reluctant to pay around $10 a month for it (Photoshop Photographers Plan).

(NB The software does not need the internet to run it, just to download it to the computer and use it in the normal way.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information. I did not know that. And I was informed that the monthly fee would be much higher. Does the Photoshop Photographers Plan include indesign and illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photoshography Plan includes Photoshop and Lightroom, see 

https://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud/photography.html

but not page Illustrator, Indesign, After Effects, Premiere, …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. 
That is really not going to work for me. Pricevise having to deal with a subscription that covers ALL my needs, workwise, having to accept constant upgrades and changes.

It really feel unfair - forcing people into this. I was hoping I was wrong. But the more I read and google the topic the more it frustrates me as I see I am not the only one struggle with this. Please feel free to enlighten me though if there are still blindspots in my perseption here. And perhaps have the decency to read the entire post if  you feel called to reply. A little respect for those less skilled in the area.  

Bottom line: There are a whole bunch of people that would love to keep thing as it is, technology already craves a lot from those that are getting older and not having the full mind capacity they once had. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»It really feel unfair - forcing people into this. I was hoping I was wrong. «

You appear to be wrong. 

Adobe did not force you to change your computer and/or OS, you can continue using CS6 on the fit computer/OS. 

And when people claim »I don’t need new features« but expect an obsolete piece of softaware to run on a new computer and OS that’s oxymoronic – Support for newer hardware and OS’ are new features. 

Adobe is not forcing you into anything, despite claims to the contrary Adobe does not have a monopoly on image editing software, so you are free to choose a perpetual license or even freeware alternative to Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I once upon I time purchased my Adobe package. I have paid for it. It works for me. Now I expect that with the technology today they could be able to either make CS 6  work in any updates, or that I would be offered the opportunity to pay an amount of money to upgrade my already purchased package so it can run on newer maschines. A one time purchage.

Instead we are 'forced' into yet another subscription, yet another piece of commitment you need to pay attention to in life. As if there isnt enough already.

'Forced' as in not having the time or capacity to do the reserach necessary to find other alternatives, AND having to learn to operate the new one. Why would I need that? I chose photoshop years ago, and now I'm in the middle of a project...Blam! silly ignorant me me I let the Catalina upgrade happen and now I am toatally lost. Yes, I have learned the hard way, do not upgrade (so is it not necessary then?). 

How curious that you all defend the subscription so much, that it is so hard to understand it not in everybodies interst all these changes and upgrades. Yet most importantly, why are Adobe not making it available as a one time purchase any longer ... you think?

The thing is. I have no idea what I am talking about. I do not have the skills to ask the questions that would help me... get my mac up running and me back in work flow. And that is sad. Thanks for listening.
This takes me nowhere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»they could be able to either make CS 6  work in any updates«

That is an unfounded expectation. 

Macintosh has not just changed the desktop background since CS6 has become obsolete so how would you expect Adobe to program an application for an OS that was not even evailable for years to come at the time? 

»I would be offered the opportunity to pay an amount of money to upgrade my already purchased package so it can run on newer maschines«

The cheaper upgrade pricing for perpetual licenses spanned two versions, if I remember correctly, even back when perpetual licenses were still available. So one could leave out every other version, but not about half a dozen like you seem to expect now. 

»How curious that you all defend the subscription so much«

Me, I didn’t like Adobe switch to an exclusive Cloud Licensing model and I still don’t. 

But to people starting from what seems like a fallacy to me (like expecting infinite upwards compatibility from commercial software) even having plain facts pointed out may seem like »defending« them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on which way you look at it. The Creative Cloud suit of applications includes the world's leading professional programs including Photoshop, After  Effects,  InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere and more, for around $50 a month. If someone's running a business and they can't afford that amount for these vital tools, IMO, they should give up and try some other activity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intersting oponion there 🙂 

By the way been running my business for 20 years, earn exactly enough pluss pluss, to provide for an interesting out of the box lifestyle. It may be hard for some people to realizr it is not really about money. But freedom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well you're free to choose whatever tools you want. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines