• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mysterious file type descriptor being written about Photoshop. Why?

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to harken back to a post from another user in April this year. That user reported encountering difficulties in opening a psd file described in Windows as being of the type: Adobe Photoshop Image 21.

Various suggestions were made as to how to open the file. . . but, astonishingly (to me at any rate) no-one commented on how come that file description was cropping up in the first place. There were instead suggestions that GIMP might help to open such a file plus sundry other ideas. No-one mentioned the strangeness of the file description.

But now, it's happening to me. In my case, I'm using Windows 7. As I write this, Windows Explorer is currently displaying a list of files in a particular image folder that I last worked on yesterday. The folder display is typical Windows, with each file's description spread out across the screen under the tabbed headers of different columns that, on my desktop PC, happen to read left to right as follows:

Name / Date Taken / Dimensions / Size / Camera model / Type.

Many of the files are jpegs.

They appear thus: under name,holiday john 0015.jpg.. . . and finally, under Type: JPEG image

So there we have it: a file with the suffix .jpg appearing on screen as a fle type: JPEG.No mystery there.

But there are also other image files, such as -- for example -- holiday jill 27.psd appearing in the name column.

Reading from left to right across the screen to the end column headed Type and the file with the suffix .psd is suddenly described as being of the type Adobe Photoshop Image 21.

WHY?

Has Microsoft Windows suddenly developed an entirely new naming convention where Adobe .psd image files are concerned?

Or is Photoshop itself coming up with this Image 21 business as a reflection of the fact that the file was worked on in Adobe Photoshop version 21? It's certainly never done anything like that before in my experience.

As neither of those two questions was raised back in April last year, I'd be delighted to hear the thoughts of other members at the start of the New Year.

Oh, and just to clarify: all  suffix .psd "Adobe Photopshop Image 21" files are easily openable in my Photoshop Release 21.0.1. It's just this weird file type naming that has surprised me.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As far as i can tell, after experimenting with setting the Windows XP and Win 10 Open With settings, photoshop cs4 was the first to include the version in the windows Explorer file Type description. So photoshop versions older than cs4 would have been Adobe Photoshop Image while cs4 would have been Adobe Photoshop Image 11 and that continues up to photoshop 2021 (photoshop version 22) which would read Adobe Photoshop Image 22.

So in other words, the version of photoshop set in the windows PSD Open With setting determines what windows explorer lists in the file Type description and i don't believe what your asking about is anything new with photoshop and windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines