• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help deducing something

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping this trove of smart PS users can help me out.  What would cause PS to not show midtones and shadows and convert them to essentially black (left #1) versus the correct view (right #2)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 11.54.35 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the image’s Color Space? 

Have you verified if the Screen Profile might be faulty by setting it to sRGB (purely for testing)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one on the left was a screenshot of an entire PS interface sent to me by a customer of mine (I sell digital images) who said that all of the darker colors in the image looked black.  When I saw the Color tile, I quickly noticed that all of her midtones and blacks appeared black even in that.  She tested the file on another computer with PS and it appeared normal.  So she deduced that it must be something with her computer's PS setup.  But now I am super curious as to what might cause this to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, forgot to mention, the color space of the file is RGB and its color profile is sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one on the left #1 was a screenshot of an entire PS interface sent to me by a customer of mine (I sell digital images) who said that all of the darker colors in the image looked black.  When I saw the Color tile, I quickly noticed that all of her midtones and blacks appeared black even in that.  She tested the file on another computer with PS and it appeared normal.  So she deduced that it must be something with her computer's PS setup.  But now I am super curious as to what might cause this to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for double replying.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"But now I am super curious as to what might cause this to happen"

It's a defective/broken monitor profile.

The proper and adequate way to deal with this is to use a calibrator to make a new profile, but if your client doesn't have that, sRGB IEC61966-2.1 is usually close enough for non-critical use. Change it here, and relaunch Photoshop when done. It loads the profile at application startup:

Displayprofile_20_3.png

Bad monitor profiles from monitor/laptop manufacturers is a very common problem. These profiles are distributed through Windows Update, and so unsuspecting users don't even know what hit them. The worst offenders are Dell, Samsung, Acer, Asus and LG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks D Fosse!  Would a screenshot show what the monitor is actually outputting though?   (Genuinely asking (so much comes across combative on the internet.... which I am definitely not))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Would a screenshot show what the monitor is actually outputting though?  "

Yes, it does. The numbers sent to screen have already been converted into the monitor profile, they are no longer in the original document color space. The screenshot is the result of that profile conversion. They are the numbers that actually hit the panel.

IOW, a defective/inaccurate monitor profile manifests itself in the screenshot, as long as it's taken from an application that actually uses the profile.

A monitor profile is a standard icc profile, just like e.g. Adobe RGB, and it is used in a standard profile conversion. A lot of people confuse it with calibration, but that's a separate thing. The profile is written after the calibration is done. It's just a map, a description. It doesn't adjust anything. The adjustment is done by the application using the profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you know what tones are present? Have you checked with a different image editor? What kind of files, what version of PS, what operating system, have you done any editing. etc etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you know what tones are present? 
The one on the left was a screenshot of an entire PS interface sent to me by a customer of mine (I sell digital images) who said that all of the darker colors in the image looked black.  When I saw the Color tile, I quickly noticed that all of her midtones and blacks appeared black even in that. 

Have you checked with a different image editor? 
She tested the file on another computer with PS and it appeared normal.  So she deduced that it must be something with her computer's PS setup. 

What kind of files, what version of PS, what operating system, have you done any editing. etc etc.
PNG file, PS 22.x, MAC

Even though it's not my file causing it, I am still super curious as to what might cause this to happen to better understand for future reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines