Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help with clipping mask!

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I'm trying to change the color and some other values of a graphic I created.

I have 3 adjustement layers above the image and they work just fine (pic01). When I try to clip mask them to the image so it only affects it, which is what I want, the adjustment layers just stop doing anything (pic02).

Can anyone help me?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

If a Layer has white pixels of varying transparency then its interaction with the underlying Layer/s can produce appearances on which an Adjustment Layer has an effect that it cannot have on the Layer alone. 

Screenshot 2021-04-27 at 13.40.05.pngScreenshot 2021-04-27 at 13.40.15.pngScreenshot 2021-04-27 at 13.40.22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

I think you can get fairly close to the appearance with Layer Styles but you may have to edit the transparency further. 

Screenshot 2021-04-27 at 14.02.36.pngScreenshot 2021-04-27 at 14.02.45.pngScreenshot 2021-04-27 at 14.02.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I don't see the same problem on my end, it's possible to upload the PSD?

E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to reset preferences?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think we ca see enough of the layers panel to work out what is going on. The three adjustment layers and the Shape layers are all indented which indicates they are in turn clipped to a layer or layers further down the stack, and that is probably where the problem is.

While I wouldn't even like to guess what is going on without seeing the rest of the layer stack, what you could look at is grouping the indented layers all the way down the first layer they are all clipped to by making them a Smart Object, and applying and clipping you adjustment layers to the SO.  It still might not work, but we don't have enough information to properly asses your situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for the feedback.

Sending as an attachment the PSD file so you can see. I've tried to group, smart object and still it doesn't work 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If an Adjustment Layer has NO EFFECT on white then clipping masking it to a Layer that only contains white pixels will produce no effect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a Layer has white pixels of varying transparency then its interaction with the underlying Layer/s can produce appearances on which an Adjustment Layer has an effect that it cannot have on the Layer alone. 

Screenshot 2021-04-27 at 13.40.05.pngScreenshot 2021-04-27 at 13.40.15.pngScreenshot 2021-04-27 at 13.40.22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can get fairly close to the appearance with Layer Styles but you may have to edit the transparency further. 

Screenshot 2021-04-27 at 14.02.36.pngScreenshot 2021-04-27 at 14.02.45.pngScreenshot 2021-04-27 at 14.02.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thanks a lot for the help! Can I just ask you to show me the layer styles you used? Or can you share with me the PSD? Thanks a lot again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The layered file is attached. 

Whether they work out for you depends on against which backgrounds they will be used. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines