Exit

Need help with matching this exact pink colour

Participant ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenringafter.jpggreenring.jpg

Hi to all,

I am a relative beginnner to Photoshop and exact colour matching is something that I have been struggling with for quite a while.

In these practice photos, I am attempting to change the rings stones on the left (originally green) to look exactly the same as the rings stone on the right.

However, I am unable to produce this exact "depth" of Fuschia tone.

I have tried every tool that I know.

Ie: First I tried the replace colour tool and that was just awful.

Then instead I used a new colour solid colour fill layer, changed the blend mode to colour, and tried to refine the colour by using--

-hue/saturation layers

-curves

-vibrance

-contrast

-levels

-selective color

-colour balance

-even tried adding a filter

and stilll nothing will make the colur depth/tone exactly the same.

I thought saturation etc would help but it just turns the ring stones from one artificial looking colour to another.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance or any before/after photos of how your results look.

I have also attached the original ring with the green stones prior to changing their colour to fuschia.

(please ignore the bits of green still left on the left ring from my lazy selecting).

Thank you,

Jenny

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

I like to take the guess work out situations like this so I use the Color Sampler tool and lay down some points in relevant positions.  Do the same thing with the pixels you want to edit, and drage the Info panel to somewhere convenient. 

There are various ways of matching the colour, but all I did here was use a Hue/Saturation layer and use the little hand icon to sample the colour range I want to edit.  (I had to expand it by dragging out the sliders on the colour bars at the bottom of the p

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A simple correction likely isn't going to cut it. You may need to extract the individual tonal ranges and colorize them separately. Easily done with Image --> Calculations and tweaking the resulting custom channels/ masks/ selections with Levels or Curves adjustments to clip out the unwanted parts and restrict the levels. Also simply consider a ton of duplicate layers with reduced opacities and slightly different colorations. The whole point of most gem stones is that they produce highly variable colors depending on light incidence and blending together a slightly more bluish pink and a more yellowish one might still give a correct "solid" color in the medium ranges, but also capture the slight deviations/ chromatic abberations in the brighter and darker ranges. Again, a "dumb" approach with just slapping on a single adjustment is unlikely to give you the realistic results you are looking for.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try this… (excuse my french UI)

Capture d’écran 2020-06-25 à 17.46.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Didier. I think the colour still needs some depth somehow...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes for sure. I did it in half minute. Have to be more precise and maybe duplicat the layer and play a little with blending modes… But this may be a way to explore…

You could alos play withe the replace color brush, directly painting…

Capture d’écran 2020-06-26 à 15.14.22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks alot. I will give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curves and Gradient Map Layers could be useful. 

Screenshot 2020-06-26 at 15.13.34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know that was an option. I though gradent map was only for creating an "ombre" like effect to backgrounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What’s »ombre«? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems very interesting. I will give atry.

2 questions :

Did you have to select the green gems in a way or another to mask?

It seems a few diamonds are affected by the red color ? Is there a way to avoid that (or was it just because you did it fast as we all do here?)

Thx

best

Didier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ombre is Shadow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used a Mask based on the a- and b-channels of a Lab-copy of the image (and some painting). 

The Mask is not perfect but some of the small stones are affected intentionally as they seem to reflect the green stones. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great idea! I always forget LAB… 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

c.p. is right; gradient map is the way to go here.

The thing is, you can't just change color. You also need to change the tone curve, and gradient map does that. With that deep saturated red the tonal relationships are different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like to take the guess work out situations like this so I use the Color Sampler tool and lay down some points in relevant positions.  Do the same thing with the pixels you want to edit, and drage the Info panel to somewhere convenient. 

There are various ways of matching the colour, but all I did here was use a Hue/Saturation layer and use the little hand icon to sample the colour range I want to edit.  (I had to expand it by dragging out the sliders on the colour bars at the bottom of the properties panel).  Then use the three sliders to change the colour and try to match the values for the colour sample points.  I am sorry that the points are not terribly clear in this screen shot, but you can see well enough to get the idea.

The point here is that whatever method you use, these values update in real time and provide a useful guide. 

000info.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines