• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to create this effect...help please?

Explorer ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I need to create the distorted graph like effect that is there on this diary. I tried using the Median filter in photoshop and then using a distress brush ...but its not the same. May be if you have any brush suggestions or filter suggestions that I can use?

Thanks in advance.

13df530a8ceb9fadfa5c4d06c80d9b4a.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Hard Mix Patterns on blurred lines night provide one option.

distressedGraphScr.png

Edit: For comparison a screenshot with the Hard Mix Layers hidden.

distressedGraphScr2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard Mix Patterns on blurred lines night provide one option.

distressedGraphScr.png

Edit: For comparison a screenshot with the Hard Mix Layers hidden.

distressedGraphScr2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well done , very interesting effect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a bunch!...This was very helpful, however I am still unable to achieve it exactly ...do you think it will work differently with a black background because that's what I am using. Screenshot below for your reference:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you could reduce the noise Layer’s opacity.

That there are red pixels seems strange, maybe desaturate the Hard Mix Layer and the Noise Layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well actually what I sent you was after desaturating both layers. Also, if I reduce the noise level the effect is not the same...The grid still looks whole instead of looking grunge like....got any other ideas?? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the grids completely neutral?

Can you provide the file via some file transfer platform?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi...the grids are neutral but the noise layer was set on 'difference' ...however getting it back to normal wasn't helping either. Following is a link to my file....Thanks a lot for this!!!

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/e1c5ebcdabeaab0c8963b145a69da16a20190524125056/481604416687b9ecc699...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither the grids nor the noise appear to not be neutral, desaturating gets rid of the red pixels (see screenshot).

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 15.04.44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I used 'desaturate' earlier and now I did it with 'Hue and Saturation' like shown by you. But I still have those red dots. I dont know how to get the grid neutral...it is neutral as far as I know. I havent set any transparency or anything on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t see the Hue/Adjustment Layers in your screenshot.

There should be one for the grids and one clipping masked to the Hard Mix group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah baby!! That did it...Thank you!!!

(I was doing it directly fromt he Image dropdown...dont know why that wasnt working as well as the adjustment layer)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might prove useful to make the Patterns »luminance-neutral«, so for example before adding the monochrome Noise to fill the Layer with 50% gray.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aah!...yep got it...Thanks for that tip!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks c.pfaffenbichler​  That's awesome and something I might try to do for a project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This technique will result is hard b/w pixel-edges, though.

If one needs softer edges/anti-aliasing one can simulate that by working at double-resolution, converting the whole stack of Layers to a Smart Object and downsampling the containing document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2019 May 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this and it was perfect!! Thanks a lot for your time and patience and prompt help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry to be jumping on this so late, im just trying to create this bled ink effect and i can just about follow most of this but whats the 'clouds' layer?  just a picture of clouds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines