• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to enlarge photo for 24' backdrop - help!

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm looking to enlarge a photo for a 24' backdrop. The stock photos are just not large enough to provide the printer with a file that's 1/2 size (146"w) at 72 dpi. When enlarging the photos in PS to the dimensions the biggest one I found was only 42 dpi. Check out the screen shot.

I remember someone at my previous job using a program to rez up images. Anyone know what that is? Any other ideas?

Thanks all!

Dydee

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Not sure if this is the program you're thinking of

https://topazlabs.com/gigapixel-ai/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ged, thank you for your quick response! I think that was the program, but if not, I believe it will do the trick. Just downloaded a trial and it's looking pretty good. Thank you again! Dydee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

42PPI my be acceptable for a large image that's viewed from a distance - check with your printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dydes57085107, When I open this posted photograph, I read the size at

159.214 inches wide

77 inches high

res only 42.779

If you are able to resave this at a higher resolution how far can you enlarge it?

Free transform might let you do it inside the current work-frame. Someone here might know the exact formula you need. Best always, JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
What distance will you view the backdrop from?  You may not need higher than 42ppi.  The resolution required can be calculated from 6878/Viewing distance in inches *.
So if your are viewing this from say 15 feet away (which is 180 inches) the ppi required is 6878/180 = 38 ppi. Any higher and your eyes cannot resolve it at that distance.

Dave

The math is based on this:

A good human eye can resolve 60 line pairs per degree i.e. pairs of black and white lines.  So in half a degree we would have 60 single lines.

clipboard_image_0.png

Simple trigonometry means that the width containing those 60 lines can be calculated by:
               Width of 60 lines = Viewing distance x tan(0.5°)

Once we know the width for 60 lines (or pixels) we can calculate how many lines per inch can be seen by using 60/Width of 60 lines.

So putting those together gives us

60/(Viewing distance x tan(0.5°)) = 60/(Viewing distance x 0.0087269)

= 2/(Viewing distance x 0.000291)    

Or

1/(Viewing distance x .0001454)

Or

6878/Viewing distance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Dave, Thanks for your quick response. Appreciate the Math and the information. This helps for sure. Dydee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines