• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to transform 900+ images to 600x600 and keeping their name.

Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have over 900 photos, all diferent sizes, as a transparant TIFF. For a webshop I need to 'transform' them to a 600x600 pixel size. Now I can make an action where I open a blank 600x600 and place an image there. But when I save it, it's saving it under a new name and I want to keep the original file name. So I think I have to do this job in a different way.

Anybody has an idea how I can make an action which does this?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on a copy/test file...

Use file/automate/fit image 600x600px. Stop recording.

Then undo or make the canvas anything but 600px in either widht or depth.

Start recording again. Then add a canvas size step to 600x600px (you'll need the canvas not to be 600 in width or depth to correctly record this step).

You may also need to consider a background colour or transparency depending on final file format and use.

All of this can be recorded into an action and used with the batch command or various image processing scripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do not want any boarders you need to first need to crop your image to have a 1:1 aspect ratio.  Then resize the cropped image to 600px x 600px.  If a centered crop will be OK with you you cans record an action that uses my Automate Plug-in Script   Aspect Ratio Selection then center crop you images to a 1:1 crop then use Image size to resize the crop to 600px x 600px.  Batch that action. The script is in my crafting actions package.

Crafting Actions Package UPDATED Aug 10, 2014 Added Conditional Action steps to Action Palette Tips.
Contains

Example
Download

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JJMack , I do not know yet if I (or my customer) wants borders, but I think with the Canvas-tool it's easy to make a border later.  

You say I have to crop my image to a 1:1 aspect ratio, but that's the problem. I don't know how to do that. As some images are landscape and some are portrait. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your images do not have a 1:1 Aspect Ratio. If you resize your images to fit on a 600px x 600px canvas without distorting your images. There will be boarders on two sides of your resized images. Either on the top and bottom or left and right.   So if you do not want boarders you need to crop your images to a 1:1 Aspect Ratio and loose some images content or distort your images  for  foe the 600px by 600px 1:1 aspect ratio canvas.   If you use Image Size check resample and unlink the width and height and set width and height to 600px  any image that did not have a 1:1 aspect ratio will be distorted in the 600px by 600px image.    Content Aware Scale may  preserve some of your images objects perspective. However, the content aware scale images will still have some distortions.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Stephen, don't know exactly what you mean with "Then undo or make the canvas anything but 600px....." 

If I use the File-Automate-Fit image my image doesnt become 600x600. If it's a landscape image the width is 600px but the height isn't. If it's a portrait image, the heigth is 600px but the width isn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you record the action step to change the canvas to 600x600, you can't do it on a canvas which already has one side at 600 as it will not record the resize of that side.

This is why you stop recording after fit image.

Undo fit image or change canvas to any size, 200x200, 599x599, 601x601, 750x750 etc.

Then record again and change canvas to 600x600 so that both width and height values are recorded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the name problem...

Create a new folder, and save the image to that folder after resizing.  The action will then send all images to the new folder, and as the file does not exist in that location, it will save with the original name.  

Are you saving the resized images as TIFF ?  I don't know all the steps you'll be using, but if you are trying to save as JPG you might need to add Flattern Image as the last step in the action (before saving) or it might want to save as PSD or TIFF.

You can also use File > Script > Image Processor to batch resize. I don't think I am totally clear on what you are trying to achieve, but you might be able to avoid using an Action this way.  You can, or course, run an action in Image Processor.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stephen_A_Marsh , @JJMack and @Trevor.Dennis , thank you all for the quick replies. Although my English isn't 100% I have used your remarks to get an action which does the trick for me.

Step 1:   File - Automate - Fit Image to 600 x 600.
Step 2: Canvas Size: 600 x 600 (uncheck the "Relative" option).
Step 3: Save the file under the same name.

Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, I was too happy too quick. 

The Canvas size option doesn't work unfortunately. It doesn't resize the images to 600 x 600.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my reply above to solve this issue.

atn.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines