• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need Tutorial: How to make a complex rectangle shape with anchor points?

Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a shape like this. Each black dot represents an anchor point. Unfortunately, making a shape like this is not an intuitive process in photoshop. 

rectangle.jpg

Then I want to use the Direct Selection Tool to select each anchor point and resize the shape in various ways.  

Can someone show me a tutorial that explains how to make the above shape in photoshop with anchor points? Or perhaps you can explain how to do it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shape has to be two separate shapes, but they can be on one layer. I would create guide lines for where you want the lines of the retangles to be. They draw one rectangle with the pen tool. Select the combine shapes mode for the pen tool, then draw the second rectangle, starting on a corner not touching the other rectangle. If you edit this shape, it will still be two rectangles, and the anchor point that connects the top left anchor point of the bottom rectangle will not edit the top rectangle, if you move it.

rectangles.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you plan to colorize later each shape differently then draw them on separate layers because you can not use two different fills on the same shape layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm wondering if there would be any advantage in combining them into a Smart Object.  You'd still be working with two layers when editing, but would have one for storing.  I do that for things like client sponsor logos that I can keep in named CC Libraries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines