Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Needing help going back a day on a Photoshop CS6 file. Using windows

New Here ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I was really hoping someone on this forum could help me with one of my Photoshop CS6 files. It was a file of a "ship". Named as such, then I placed a file called "water" in the "ship" file on a new layer. Deleting all other layers in the "ship" file but one. Then saved that file as "water". So I should have had two files one named "ship" and one named "water". But I don't. I tried the revert function but it did not revert the ship file. So I looked in the history in my document and it's not showing me a history for it. It just shows one bar like a layer would be and that's all. If I go into the folder where the "ship" file was and right click on it, then it drops down a menu where you can choose different things. If I go to the bottom of that list and click on "Properties". It brings up the Properties for my "ship" file. Under the "General Tab", it says my file was created on Saturday, May 23,2020 @ 9:32 am. Then it show the last time the file was modified and accessed which was today May 25, 2020 just two hrs ago.

How would I open my said "ship" file from before today? Which would be the last time I was in the file. I think besides today I was in the file, day before yesterday (or yesterday I can't quit remember). If anyone here can could help me recover this file that would be awesome. I'm kinda stressing out not knowing what to do and I don't want to loose all the work I put into that file. It was a very tedious project.

Thank you Adam

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your OS is Windows, there is a Previous version restore function explained here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17119/windows-7-recover-lost-deleted-files

Should work the same for Windows 10.

If you have Windows, set up and use File History for versioning to set up restore points or just save a copy of your file. How often depends on how much work you have to do to restore it if there is a crash. Layered files can go bad and backup is the best strategy. Don't hang your hopes up on third party repair tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply but that did not solve the problom. As there are no "Previous Versions" in that tab. It just says: THERE ARE NO PREVIOUS VERSIONS AVAILABLE

Both files are blank in this spot. But like I said if I click on the "General Tab" then it shows info about the file like when it was created.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use your own backups for problem like this. You do make backups, I assume... if not, catastrophe is waiting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you lost your PSD layered file.

(we've all been there!)

• Always keep your layered files, so that you can go back and make further changes subsequently.
  • Always Save your documents regularly and Save As and incrementally name your images for major changes.
  • Always make back ups of your files, internally and externally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply back to my request. I wanted to put this here so you guys knew what happed with my files I was talking about.

Luckily, I was able so save both files though I don't know how. Before I tried to reach out to someone I did all the normal things that I could think of to recover the files I was talking about. Like Undo and Revert, which should have brought up the last last save of the documents. I also looked in the history of the file to go backward with no luck either. The only thing I can think of that might have done something for me was the fact that I went through one of the Photoshop menu's and changed the setting to save more steps in the history. I was worried if that was OK so did not refresh after I just let the file set until yesterday when I had more time to mess with it. Because I had to wake my computer from sleep mode, maybe it rethought and loaded more to the history since I increase the about of time I wanted it to show when I was last on. but again I'm not sure. But between the time I reached out and yesterday, I had also called our local computer place on one of my breaks at work. They said to save a copy of the files to a flash drive, Then we could go from there once I got home from work. Once doing that step I noticed the thumbnail at the top of the history menu looked like the file adjustments I was trying to go back to. Anyways for whatever reason I was able to save my lost files.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines