Highlighted

New Build Advice: Graphics Cards

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Looking for some thoughts if I may, am looking at replacing my aging computer which is struggling with photo editting these days:

The highlights of what I have now, all apart from the hard drive are original from 2009....

• Processor (CPU): Intel® Core i7 Quad Core Processor i7-930 (2.80GHz)

• Memory (RAM): 12GB Triple Channel Ram

• Graphics Card: AMD 5770 Graphics

• 1st Storage Drive: 256GB Samsung 830 Series SSD

Looking at getting the following:

• Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Tempered Glass Gaming Case

• Processor (CPU): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU

• Motherboard: ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming

• Memory (RAM): 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)

• 1st M.2 SSD Drive: 1TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe

• Power Supply: Corsair 850W TXm Series

• Processor Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S CPU Cooler

I am intending to pair this with the Benq DesignVue 32 inch, 4K UHD, 100% sRGB | PD3200U which gets fantastic reviews for photo editing which will account for the majority of the computers use (Photoshop, Lightroom and associated software)

Now the subject of what I need thoughts and help on: Graphics.

Clearly that is a "issue" currently with the new releases by NVidia and I assume that the AMD one judging by peoples posts on computer forums it is going to be the same. Was considering either the RTX 3070/3080 or the 6800XT for good future proofing and coping well with the 4k screen and the few games that I play.

Am thinking  what people thoughts are on sticking in a GTX 1660 Super which I can grab for around £200 and using that for the moment, say the next 12 months to allow for both AMD and NVidia to build up stocks and supply the demand that is currently exhausting supplies. 

What are peoples experiences with the GTX 1660 Super @ 4k with Photoshop and Lightroom etc.

Thanks in advance for peoples thoughts.

TOPICS
Performance, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

New Build Advice: Graphics Cards

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Looking for some thoughts if I may, am looking at replacing my aging computer which is struggling with photo editting these days:

The highlights of what I have now, all apart from the hard drive are original from 2009....

• Processor (CPU): Intel® Core i7 Quad Core Processor i7-930 (2.80GHz)

• Memory (RAM): 12GB Triple Channel Ram

• Graphics Card: AMD 5770 Graphics

• 1st Storage Drive: 256GB Samsung 830 Series SSD

Looking at getting the following:

• Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Tempered Glass Gaming Case

• Processor (CPU): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU

• Motherboard: ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming

• Memory (RAM): 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)

• 1st M.2 SSD Drive: 1TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe

• Power Supply: Corsair 850W TXm Series

• Processor Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S CPU Cooler

I am intending to pair this with the Benq DesignVue 32 inch, 4K UHD, 100% sRGB | PD3200U which gets fantastic reviews for photo editing which will account for the majority of the computers use (Photoshop, Lightroom and associated software)

Now the subject of what I need thoughts and help on: Graphics.

Clearly that is a "issue" currently with the new releases by NVidia and I assume that the AMD one judging by peoples posts on computer forums it is going to be the same. Was considering either the RTX 3070/3080 or the 6800XT for good future proofing and coping well with the 4k screen and the few games that I play.

Am thinking  what people thoughts are on sticking in a GTX 1660 Super which I can grab for around £200 and using that for the moment, say the next 12 months to allow for both AMD and NVidia to build up stocks and supply the demand that is currently exhausting supplies. 

What are peoples experiences with the GTX 1660 Super @ 4k with Photoshop and Lightroom etc.

Thanks in advance for peoples thoughts.

TOPICS
Performance, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 30, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have the RTX2060 super and it works fine with Photoshop, Photoshop is not really that GPU intensive although with the recent updates especially version 22.0 it's becoming more and more GPU intensive.

The GTX 1660 Super should work fine with Photoshop

This is worth a read

https://photofocus.com/photography/what-resolution-monitor-should-you-buy-as-a-photographer-1080p-or...

I don't use Lightroom so can't comment on that

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ged, appreciate the feedback.

Reading that link then I might well be better off with 2 x BenQ PD2500Q 1440p 2560 x 1440 100sRGB (https://www.benq.eu/en-uk/monitor/designer/pd2500q.html) what do you think?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's 2 people on this forum that can give way better advice than me when it comes to monitors

Number one is @D Fosse and the other is @davescm 

I've tagged them so hopefully they'll comment and help you with your choice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4K is great for graphic design and typography. If you primarily worked with InDesign I would certainly recommend it.

Photography is a different story. It's actually an advantage to be able to work on pixel level, to judge sharpness and noise at 100%. Not that you see every pixel, but you get a feel for the pixel structure. You can't do that on 4K, it all blends and blurs.

So yes, 2560 x 1440 is just about perfect.

The BenQ is no more than average. It'll probably work OK. But generally, most people skimp on the monitor. They think of it as "just another peripheral".

Think of it this way: the monitor has actual impact on the quality of your work. Not just the waiting time between clicks. You can't do good work if you can't see what you're doing. None of your other hardware has such a direct effect on the work you do.

My general advice is to cut your budget in two. Buy a monitor for one half. Get the rest for the other half.

If you want names, I'll give you two: Eizo and NEC. Those are the serious alternatives. The rest is up to your budget.

Edit - I wrote this just before I saw Ged's ping...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 1
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse Well that was quick 😀

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not really that quick 🙂 I hit "post" and when it came though I saw yours...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I fully agree with everything D.Fosse has said above.

I changed my monitors earlier this year and before doing so, went on a call with Eizo. Their advice for photography was to aim for a pixel pitch around 100-130pixels per inch (they actually quoted in the inverse of that i.e the size of pixels but the result is the same). So a 4K monitor would need to be 34-44inch which is huge, whereas a 2k (2560x1440) monitor only needs to be 22-29" which is practical with two on the desk.  I bought two 27 inch CS2731s which fall into that sweet spot for pixel density and have excellent colour control and uniformity across the screen i.e colours look the same in the corners as they do in the middle.

They calibrate well with the included Colour Navigator software. Don't forget to budget for a calibration device such as the i1Display to get the best from your monitors unless your monitors have a calibration device built in.

As far as the GPU , I had a GTX1080 8GB which worked fine with Photoshop. I recently changed it to an RTX2080ti 11GB but that was for rendering speed in Blender 3D rather than any need driven from Photoshop.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 2
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all really apreciate the help and advice.  Currently investigating the options based on the advice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I found this while looking for info about Nvidia vs AMD GPU performance but I thought I'd mention that there's been some recent reports that 4x8gb RAM is performing 5-10% better in certain games on the 5000 series AMD CPUs. Not sure how it will impact Adobe software but might be worth checking out. 
Hardware Unboxed and Gamer's Nexus posted videos on this yeasterday.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks will check out his youtube video.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 0