New computer and all photos load into PS almost black

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got a new computer and downloaded PS21.  Now whenever I try to open a photo or image, it is virtually black.  I am sure there is a magic setting somewhere, but I am not savvy enough to know what or where.  I added a terrible phone photo of the screen below.  The whole thing should be white with just black lines for the design. 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by D Fosse | Adobe Community Professional

A defective monitor profile can sometimes turn up as a black screen in Photoshop. We've seen a couple of cases lately (and bad manufacturer profiles is a common problem).

Replace the current profile with sRGB IEC61966-2.1 in Windows Color Management. Relaunch Photoshop when done, it loads the profile at application startup:

Displayprofile_20_3.png

The proper way to deal with it is to use a calibrator to make a new profile, but if you don't have one, sRGB should be close enough to let you start working at least.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

New computer and all photos load into PS almost black

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got a new computer and downloaded PS21.  Now whenever I try to open a photo or image, it is virtually black.  I am sure there is a magic setting somewhere, but I am not savvy enough to know what or where.  I added a terrible phone photo of the screen below.  The whole thing should be white with just black lines for the design. 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by D Fosse | Adobe Community Professional

A defective monitor profile can sometimes turn up as a black screen in Photoshop. We've seen a couple of cases lately (and bad manufacturer profiles is a common problem).

Replace the current profile with sRGB IEC61966-2.1 in Windows Color Management. Relaunch Photoshop when done, it loads the profile at application startup:

Displayprofile_20_3.png

The proper way to deal with it is to use a calibrator to make a new profile, but if you don't have one, sRGB should be close enough to let you start working at least.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 11, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure your machine meets the changed Photoshop requirements, CPU, OS version. That your GPU shows it is supported in your Photoshop 22.1 Preferences Performance section  and you have the latest Device driver version for it installed. Read over all the Adobe issues Adobe posted.   Users have reported additional issue here and on Adobe's Feedback site,  Here is what Adobe has posted.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-big-sur.html 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ps-desktop 

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on Mac or Windows? Which version of OS?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Displayprofile_20_3.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the issue. Thanks so much for the detailed instructions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2020 0