Highlighted

New layer via copy doesn't maintain alignment

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm used to use cmd + J or "New layer via copy" a lot. In previous versions of Photoshop the copy area/layer would maintain the exact same position but since updating to CC 2019 it misaligns it to the left by like 60px and if I repeat the command it goes further and further to the left. Is this a bug or is it a feature? And if it's the latter can I change it back? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

New layer via copy doesn't maintain alignment

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm used to use cmd + J or "New layer via copy" a lot. In previous versions of Photoshop the copy area/layer would maintain the exact same position but since updating to CC 2019 it misaligns it to the left by like 60px and if I repeat the command it goes further and further to the left. Is this a bug or is it a feature? And if it's the latter can I change it back? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 22, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RuteTorres,

Sorry to hear that, could you please try enabling "Legacy compositing" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work unfortunately...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2018 0
Contributor ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you using "paste in place"? command shift v? mine works just fine.

worst case, use the "apply image" command and it'll go right in place always. perfectly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you misunderstood the problem. I am not pasting anything manually. I'm using "cmd + J" that used to copy AND paste in place before, and now it doesn't.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Problem getting even worse when you have multiple Artboards and you are copying via the Icon in the Layers Panel.

Then the copyied Layers will be moved to another Artboard at a different position.

I have Legacy Compositing Option allready turned on because of the Bugs with the Blend Option Preview.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found out that these Problem seems to be fixed in Development Build.

So i think it should be ok with the next Update.

Take a look here:

Duplicate an item moves it to the first artboard instead of current artboard

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to find any other posts about this but couldn't, so thank you! Good to know it's gonna be fixed soon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2018 0
Contributor ,
Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So apply image isn’t working for you?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you try using "cmd+J" or "Layer > New > Layer Via Copy" you'll see it's a simple command where it copies the layer or the selection (if there is one). You don't need to confirm any placement or size.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2018 0
Contributor ,
Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try “image>apply image” instead of any copy function or command j. . is what I’m saying.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2018 0
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

September 2020 and I'm having the same issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lydia, what is your exact version of Photoshop and your OS?

Is this only when you use artboards or also in files that do no have artboards?

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow, sorry didn't see this earlier. 

I'm not using artboards and it's the 21.2.3 release. And yeah, the same thing is happening.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2020 0