Highlighted

new pc with 2 hard drives but confused on the size and type

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, my surface pro 3 has given up and my other laptop is to slow so I'm looking to put together a desktop this time since I'm working more on a wacom cintiq pro.

Anyway I got set on my cards but am confused on the hard drives.

I've read that the M.2 SSD is much faster then the others but don't know if 2 M.2 SSD's are needed or 1 normal SSD and 1 M.2 and wich one needs to be bigger. This should be 1 for windows and other apps en the other for scratchdisk and saving files or am I thinking wrong?

Thank you

TOPICS
How to, Performance, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

new pc with 2 hard drives but confused on the size and type

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, my surface pro 3 has given up and my other laptop is to slow so I'm looking to put together a desktop this time since I'm working more on a wacom cintiq pro.

Anyway I got set on my cards but am confused on the hard drives.

I've read that the M.2 SSD is much faster then the others but don't know if 2 M.2 SSD's are needed or 1 normal SSD and 1 M.2 and wich one needs to be bigger. This should be 1 for windows and other apps en the other for scratchdisk and saving files or am I thinking wrong?

Thank you

TOPICS
How to, Performance, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, yes and yes 🙂

NVMe drives (aka PCIe M.2) are orders of magnitude faster than traditional SATA SSDs.

One or two doesn't matter performance-wise, as long as there is at least 1TB total space. If two, use one for OS and applications, the other for the Photoshop scratch disk - and maybe other temp files like e.g. the ACR cache, and possibly the Bridge cache because it gets big and fills up your user account.

A fairly standard configuration of operating system and a range of applications will normally take up about 80 - 120 GB. But the user account tends to fill up with all sorts of debris over time, and you need to have room to grow.

If two, set the system disk as secondary PS scratch. Photoshop scratch can eat up a half terabyte in a single gulp if you're working with large files.

Have all your images and assets on separate (spinning) drives, with a backup regime. If anything happens to either system or images, it can be easily recovered without affecting the other.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I'm understanding correctly just one 1TB Samsung's SSD 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 would make no difference performance-wise then if I put one smaller and one larger one?

I do back up everything on external drives (if I don't forget)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No difference - as long as all your images are elsewhere.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2020 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want your OS, Application, Users Application data, system temp, paging and Photoshop Scratch on SSD the faster the better.   If you do not use Windows Hibernation and  have turned it off  I would  agree with D Fosse that you system and software will likely fall into the 80 to 100GB range.   If you just use Photoshop not use Premier Pro and AE I would think you could get by with good system, 32GB of Ram, a 512GB SSD, and a good Display Adapter. (I wish Adobe would make some recommendations for display adapters not muddy the water.)  Myself I keep all my data  Files like Image files on Externals USB3 Disks and also backup on  external disk. I have found external drives to be very reliable and very affordable.  It very easy to change systems this way. All you have to do is install a new system attach to your external disk and install your application software ffron them and you are up and running.

If you use Premier Pro and AE and do video editing  I would think you would need a beefy system and more RAM and SSD would be helpful,

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer, I don't use PP or AE, I mostly use lightroom cc and PS and will have 32 RAM

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just be aware that Adobe CC app will copy all of your library files into the C drive for no good reason so if you have a lot of stuff in your library and wondering why the C drive is clogging up, thats why so turn off sync or allow extra space

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2020 1