• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New project files are vary large

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I set up to work on a new project my file sizes are far too big. A 2000x3000px image at a resolution of 300px opens with just a white background and at 418mb. This happens for all files I try to create new and other images I open in PS. Everything seems to be excesivly large. I read about metadata and running scrips to remove legacy metadata but cant seem to find clear information on if thats the fix I need and if it is how do I do it. Im pretty new to photoshop so any help with this would be appriciated. Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I think of project I would expect the layered file will be used   Layer file can be come huge when you use things like Placed embedded images.  A Collage template that has 50 smart object Images layers will have the contents of 50 other documents in its contents. Image file include layered and RAW files.  Layered document can contain up to 8,000 layers. Layered  documents may need to be save as PSB files the get around the 2 and 4 GB file size limits that  PSD and Tiff have.

There are Photoshop scripts that can strip/delete ancestor meta data in a document. Save for web and export can strip all meta data.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are new files that are very large with only a background layer and no smart objects. In the other post in this thread you can see a 3000x2000px white background at 72ppx is showing a file size of 17.2mb.

I read some things about scripts to remove metadata and ancestry metadata but I don't know how to creat a script or make a .jsx file which is what I think the script file type was. Also, would that be a solution to this problem even though I didn't add anything to the file that would contain metadata? This has me stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) and the Image Size dialog visible? 

What are the image’s Color Mode and bit depth? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photoshopSS.jpg

1.  I hope this shows everything you wanted to know. This is a brand new project with only the white background layer and it is 17.2mb which seems far too large for me. I am in rgb and I don't know what bit depth means.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file size will vary depending on the file type layered not layered compress not compressed. The 17.2 MB you see there is image size.  3000x2000 pixels = 6,000,000 pixels 8Bit Color is 8bit red, 8 bit green and 8 Bit Blue. So each pixel requires 3 bytes. 6Mx3B = 18MB decmal.   I think 17.2 must be the memory hex size.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJ - There are 1048576 bytes in 1 MB which is why your calculation of 18,000,000 bytes becomes 17.2MB 

Steve - the size in RAM is not the same as the file size on disk. Metadata adds to it and file compression reduces it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Dave 1K of RAM is 1024 bytes Its that binary counting thing thing. Like a byte 8 bits counts 0 to 15 or should I write 0 to F or should I state has 16 values that  other binary counting system

2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512 1024 2048 4096 etc. I know it as HEX So Adobe rounded the Hex value up some  for value 17.2MB using your number 1048576 (1MB) x 17.2 = 18,035,507.2 bytes for 17.1 is to low  17,930,649.6 bytes.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide one of the images? 

As for removing Ancestors Metadata try the Script in this thread: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/inflated-jpg-file-size-photoshop-document-ancestors-metadat...

Save the code as a txt-file, change the extension to .jsx and copy it into Photoshop’s Presets/Scripts-Folder; after restarting Photoshop it should be available under File > Scripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the screen shot - This is not a fault. No other number could be possible. It is simple maths, you can do it yourself - width x height x 3. (The image size is NOT the file size you will have when saving)

For the original question "A 2000x3000px image at a resolution of 300px opens with just a white background and at 418mb."  I assume that "resolution of 300px" is a typo for 300ppi. But this should not happen, because the ppi value has NO EFFECT on file size if the pixel size is the same. If you are seeing this, please show the screen shot as before, so we can figure out what is going on. There are many sizes people look at (image size in bytes, memory needed, scratch space needed, PSD size, JPEG size, camera "megapixels", and others) so you need to fully understand the difference between them... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No 3000x2000 8bit color at 300PPI is still 17.2MB the printed picture size is much smaler from 16" ad 72PPI wide to 10" wide at 300ppi

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines