Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Tools for neutrality

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I’m working on catalogs which features object pictures on a grey gradient CMYK background. Our background generally aren’t neutral and have a dominant color.
Id like to implement a tool into my information panel which would allow me to know if the spot where I put my color picker is neutral or has a cyan, magenta or yellow tone. Also maybe try to find a function allowing me to neutralize an entire layer (I sometimes receive pictures where there’s magenta on the right and cyan on the left...)
When I say “neutral” I mean CMYK neutral background, not converted into grey scale.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Id like to implement a tool into my information panel which would allow me to know if the spot where I put my color picker is neutral or has a cyan, magenta or yellow tone.«

See the Info Panel’s Panel Options and set the Modes accordingly. 

Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 11.55.36.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but I don't see the connection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyway i need the CMYK and total inking values

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Also maybe try to find a function allowing me to neutralize an entire layer«

Have you tried Hue/Saturation Layers? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, actually I use the desaturation but if I completely desaturate it becomes magenta, so I have to find the right middle, it's tedious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CMYK gray isn't neutral in the sense that C=M=Y. Inks have different densities, so that there is usually a higher percentage of cyan ink (and a little lower percentage of yellow).

Furthermore, the ratio isn't exactly the same in different CMYK profiles (because they correspond to different ink specs). So a formula would have to be profile-specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting the Color Sampler Readouts to Lab (or maybe HSB) might provide a food clue about how »neutral« a color is. 

Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 12.27.35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Lab readout will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If in a new CMYK file, fill in I use values ​​T = 0 S = 0 L = x photoshop will fill me the layer with a neutral gray with variable values ​​depending on X.
I cannot memorize all CMYK values ​​that are neutral gray.
Once again I am not trying to get around this problem but it seems to me that there is a lack of a tool allowing to know where we are at the level of neutrality that was the goal of my post.
All the more so in times of Covit / telework where people do not always have access to a calibrated screen to work.
How to send the info back to the developers to claim a missing function?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to make a background neutral but it is painful on a daily basis.
I wanted the implementation of a function or tool that I miss in my job, maybe I didn't post in the right place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

»maybe I didn't post in the right place.«

The place for Photoshop Feature Requests is 

Photoshop Family

But frankly I don’t think you have exhausted existing possibilities. 

And why are you working in CMYK anyway? Is the imagery illustrative or photographic? 

»I cannot memorize all CMYK values ​​that are neutral gray.«

What are you talking about memorizing values? 

If a and b in a Lab readout are 0 (or thereabouts) then the color is neutral. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines