• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New update photoshop 22.4.1 saving sucks.

New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should've kept the old save as with all the options like jpeg, png or pdf etc. It’s super annoying to go each time to save as copy. while in the older version with save as you could also select as copy and save as anything you wanted, much better!

Hope this will change back in next update..

(For anyone who doesn’t know how to save as png, jpeg, jpeg2000,pdf etc 

you need to go to save as copy and than you will have all those options)

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

See the official response from Adobe in this thread : https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/p-save-as-formats-have-disappeared-photoshop-22-4/td-p/12034909

The change was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep them aligned.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

@robertm98079738  You're very late to the party Robert 🙂  Install the latest version and in Preferences > File handling >File Saving Options  you can revert the behaviour

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the official response from Adobe in this thread : https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/p-save-as-formats-have-disappeared-photoshop-22-4/td-p/1203...

The change was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep them aligned.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple and Microsoft versions are not aligned.   Operating System services and File system are different,  Users experience are different.  Photoshop users on Apple iPad can not save a file cloud document is automatic on iPads. File filtering is different on Windows and OSX.   

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The iPad is a different thing altogether and no-one is claiming alignment of that. It is also fact that the two operating systems are different.

However, within Photoshop the same named menu items do the same thing whether you are on Mac or Windows. If we ask for Image Size we get the same thing on both, if we ask for Save we get thing on both....... etc etc That has been an important principle for a long time now.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJ - going on and on about how MacOS is not Windows is futile and a dead end. It's not going to get you anywhere.

The fact is that each is 50% of the user base and it's essential that they are functionally identical. They always have been and will continue to be, regardless of your opinion. This functional consistency has much wider implications than mere "convenience".

I suggest you use your energy looking forward. This change is here to stay and it's not going away. It's perfectly possible to live well with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JJMack wrote:

Apple and Microsoft versions are not aligned.   

Mac and Microsoft versions of Photoshop are aligned. When I teach Adobe software, the class usually has both Windows and Mac students and I may be put on either system. If Adobe started making the versions different, it wouldn't stop with just this one thing. We would then have to have separate classes, separate books, separate plug-ins, separate actions, and separate forums. Consistency between the platforms is important, imo.

"... on Windows and OSX"  

I know you don't use macOS JJ, and don't keep up with Mac nomenclature, but it hasn't been called OSX for a long time. OSX had a long run — 10.0 was released in 2001. Big Sur is 11, but does not use XI. The official name is macOS 11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_version_history

The next time an OS changes an API, it could well be Microsoft that makes the change, and we will all adapt.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, but this lowercase "macOS" seems a bit silly and affected to me...I still reserve the right to call it "MacOS" because that's the grammatically correct way to write it 😉

Of course, if that offends a lot of people, I'm willing to reconsider 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will it run the same on an Apple-I though ?  🙂  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_I

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm wrote:

Will it run the same on an Apple-I though ?  🙂

No.

~ Jane

😊 😊 😊 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha! You can say it lots of ways as long as you omit the "X", which was last used in El Capitan. 😊

For the record:

• macOS 11
  • iPadOS 14.6
  • iOS 14.6 (iPhone)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geezus christ why did they add this "Add a copy" to save a Jpeg thing?? It sucks more than anything has ever sucked before.. It litterally adds 2 moves to my work flow, this was more than unnessasary to say the least. Please get rid of this as fast as possible. If theres a way i can revert... Please do tell. . for the love of god already. Im dying over here. 

Im on a PC, Windows 10  

robertm98079738_0-1626971289385.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@robertm98079738  You're very late to the party Robert 🙂  Install the latest version and in Preferences > File handling >File Saving Options  you can revert the behaviour

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe are following the Apple mode of business...what can we cull for zero apparent reason. Adobe are doing the same with Premiere, killing functions that have worked for years in the name of progress. 🤦‍:female_sign:. Yet After Effects has never been updated. I first used it around 1996, it's still no better or faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What relevance has this to the Save As / Save a Copy question which has been answered and was addressed in Photoshop with a Preference setting option?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only is it annoying, like most of the latest updates to Photoshop, it slows down production flow big time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mike Cressy wrote:

Not only is it annoying, like most of the latest updates to Photoshop, it slows down production flow big time.

Mike, are you aware that this was caused by a change to macOS and that Adobe provided a fix that can be made in Preferences? If not, please read this thread and then revert the behavior.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't quite revert it all yet Jane, if you open a an image in LR Classic then select edit in Photoshop the save as option still directs it to the last folder used rather than the folder the file originated in. It works fine in ACR but not LRC. This is very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's simply unbelieable that Adobe did this.  The blurb about an apple change forcing this is just nonense - pure and simple. As a software engineer myself, I know there would be ways to work around this programmatially.  Anything, can be done in program.  At the very least, an option that would allow customers to preserve old behavior, acknowledging that they are ok with the ramifications.   

This is a very clear demonstration that Adobe does not give a rats behind about the convenience of their customers.  They don't care at all about how many user actions they are breaking.  They are complacent, and if they continue this behavior will eventually go out of business.  I've seen it happen many times.  Personally, I will wean myself off of Photoshop the earliest chance I get.

BTW, in my software business, I wouldn't dream of releasing a new version that breaks my customers' existing work flow or APIs.  If something underneath me changed, I would find a way of preserving my interfaces - as opposed to throwing up my hands and blaming someone else, as Adobe has done.

(And, please don't remind me I'm late to the party.   I don't have auto updates turned on - and for GOOD REASON, as demonstrated by this thread.   Further, yes, I know I can go back to an old version, but that's far from the point.  The point here is a programming/organisational culture that avoids forcing workflow/action changes so that customers who pay for your new features every month can get them without pain !)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not having auto updates turned on is a good strategy. That way you can choose when to update and go direct to the later release with the Legacy Save As option, which you can turn on in preferences.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@math32289564 wrote:

It's simply unbelieable that Adobe did this.  The blurb about an apple change forcing this is just nonense - pure and simple. As a software engineer myself...

As a software engineer, do you understand that Apple removed the API that Adobe used for Save As, which forced Adobe to make an entirely new menu item in order to circumvent it?

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/appkit/nssavepanel

"In macOS 10.15, the system always displays the Save dialog in a separate process, regardless of whether the app is sandboxed. When the user saves the document, macOS adds the saved file to the app's sandbox (if necessary) so that the app can write to the file. Prior to macOS 10.15, the system used a separate process only for sandboxed apps."

The issue was fixed by Adobe seven months ago in June 2021 in version 22.4.2.

And, please don't remind me I'm late to the party.

Okay. 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to teach photoshop to my students and this new saving modes with no sense make them see this software very hard to understand... Adobe fire out someone, your UX UI advisor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tell your students this:

Prior to Photoshop CS5 in 2010, you couldn't save to jpeg at all, if the file didn't already conform to the jpeg file format specification. You had to flatten the file to remove all layers and transparency, convert to 8 bit, and delete any alpha channels. Then, and only then, was it possible to save the file as jpeg.

In 2010, to a fair bit of fanfare, a "hack" was introduced in Photoshop CS5. You could now save directly to jpeg, all those operations would be performed automatically, and you would get a jpeg copy directly from Save As. This was all new, never seen in any other software before or since. It was a big selling point at the time.

Then Apple changed the rules (as they frequently do). The hack wouldn't work anymore, MacOS didn't allow it.

So they came up with Save A Copy. Later, they were able to find workarounds that allowed a "legacy save" that behaved in roughly the same way, but with a real risk of unintentional overwiting of data. That's why it's not the default.

That's the irony: they introduced direct save to jpeg to make users happy, and then it came back to bite them and I bet they regret it now. If they hadn't done that in CS5, it would have been business as usual the whole time and nobody would have complained.

If you think "the competition" can save to jpeg from 16 bit layered files, think again. Affinity can't do it. You have to launch a separate and slow Export process.

I agree that Adobe made one huge mistake in all this. They tried to sell Save A Copy as a "feature". That didn't go down well. They should have called it what it was, a rescue operation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines