• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No improvement to Select Subject. My 2020 version works the same as 2019. Why?

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to use the "improved" Select Subject feature in Photoshop 2020 (21.2.0). I also have Photoshop 2019 installed. Using the same photo in each version of Photoshop, I get the same result. There is no improvment in the selection using Photoshop 2020. Why is this happening?

My iMac is only a few years old and I have all the Performance settings checked and maxed. I even tried resetting Photoshop's Preferences. I have attached two screenshots showing the result of Select Subject in both versions of Photoshop and also one showing my Performance settings. The mask is exactly the same in each version. Why is Photoshop 2020 not using the "improved" Select Subject?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the differences between old and new small but slightly better. Both still need further work to make a usable mask.

For direct comparison, in Select and Mask have you tried :

1. With an image open go to Select and Mask and use Select Subject.

2. Output to a new layer with layer mask.

3. Label the layer "new" then turn off that new layer visibility.

4. Go back to the original layer and open select and mask  this time use Shift and Select Subject (which forces the old alogorithm)

5. Output to a new layer with layer mask

6. Label this layer "Old"

You can now switch between the old and new layers and look for subtle differences - but when I've used it they are small.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also the two images posted are different size images there is no way we can compare the two selections

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a better example. Two different versions. Version 2020 should be better, but it's not. It's the exact same selection.Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 3.36.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-10 at 3.36.16 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you got any answer to this?
Same thing happens to me (on W10), using the same file on 2 computers with latest versions 1 gives me the "updated select subject" mask, but the other just delivers almost the same as with PS 2019.
Same file, same seting, 2 different results on 2 computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines