No versions working in Windows 7 now??

Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My creative cloud updated my Photoshop last week and now it just keeps saying scratch disks full. 

I've uninstalled / reinstalled many times and same result.   I'm one of the last people using Windows 7.  Any clues on how to fix this?  The scratch disk settings give me no options to change anything.

The drive has 5gb free.  My secondary drive (d:) has 3 gb free.

Very frustrating, I have work to do and I pay for this software.

Help

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ged Traynor | Adobe Community Professional

"The drive has 5gb free. My secondary drive (d:) has 3 gb free"

Well it's pretty clear that you need to free up space for the scratch disk, you're going to run into other issues relating to the operating system down the road with such little free space on your drives.

Photoshop can eat 8GB of space in no time, you need a minimum of 100GB for the scratch disk to work efficiently and even more depending on how large the files you're working on are

TOPICS
Bug, Crash or freeze, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

No versions working in Windows 7 now??

Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My creative cloud updated my Photoshop last week and now it just keeps saying scratch disks full. 

I've uninstalled / reinstalled many times and same result.   I'm one of the last people using Windows 7.  Any clues on how to fix this?  The scratch disk settings give me no options to change anything.

The drive has 5gb free.  My secondary drive (d:) has 3 gb free.

Very frustrating, I have work to do and I pay for this software.

Help

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ged Traynor | Adobe Community Professional

Well it's pretty clear that you need to free up space for the scratch disk, you're going to run into other issues relating to the operating system down the road with such little free space on your drives.

Photoshop can eat 8GB of space in no time, you need a minimum of 100GB for the scratch disk to work efficiently and even more depending on how large the files you're working on are

TOPICS
Bug, Crash or freeze, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 19, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I free'd up 10GB and it launched.  Thank you.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should have mentioned I've been using Photoshop since the 90s and i'm an advanced user 🙂  It's working again now which is great.  I've operated previous versions with far less free space in the past.. but whatever works this is good now.

Mike

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 0
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what Ged said, uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop will not give you enough unused space on your hard drive to be used for a scratch disk. If you are getting the error, you need more free space or use a separate disk.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/scratch-disks-preferences.html

Also check the system requirements for Photoshop 2021. Note especially that the only supported version of Windows is Windows 10.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Says it requires 4 gb of free space.  I have close to 5.  

When it opens up there are no available options to change anything, see below:

Fever905_0-1605801361332.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 0
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have NOWHERE NEAR enough free disk space. You desperately need to free up space or buy an external hard drive.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 0
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5GB??!

I can use up 5GB in twenty seconds. Then your computer is an expensive doorstop.

You are critically low on disk space and you need to do something ASAP.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 0
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"My secondary drive (d:) has 3 gb free."

One more thing: your secondary drive does not show up in your screen shot as being available, and all we know about it is that it has 3 gb free. Read the link I posted earlier to scratch disks in the section where it says what does and doesn't work. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/scratch-disks-preferences.html

If you're still not sure, give us the specs on that drive.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You wrote, "I'm one of the last people using Windows 7." but that's not true. According to U.S. analytics vendor Net Applications, in October of 2020, Windows 7 was being used on "20.4% of all personal computers, representing 23% of Windows-only PCs." That's hundreds of millions of people.

Your problem isn't with Photoshop, it's that you don't have enough free space on your hard drive(s) for Photoshop's scratch disk. Here is an Adobe Photoshop help page about scratch disks:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/using/scratch-disks-preferences.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 0
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that scratch disk space was the issue in this thread but be aware that the latest Photoshop system requirements require Windows 10 v 1809 or later for Photoshop v22 to install.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 0
Fever905 LATEST
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, 

Yes I saw that. I'm using the previous version, 21.2.4.  Cheers!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 0