Highlighted

Not Getting PSB Previews

Participant ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to File>Open in Ps and want to open a PSB file, I'm seeing no preview thumbnail of the image, just the PSB logo.

In Bridge, sometimes I get previews of some of the images, sometimes I get previews of none and other times previews of all images appear. On the weekend I was getting a few of the images previewing, today all of them do. When none/some were previewing, I did try the cache purge trick from this thread and it didn't work, https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/no-psb-preview/td-p/10139527

Have the latest versions of both Ps and Br installed. Working on a Surface Book 2 w/16GB of RAM and a Core i7 quad core processor. NVidia GTX 1060 GPU w/ latest drivers installed. This has been a problem over different driver and Ps/Br versions so it's not a matter that the latest updates are the issue. Win 10 Pro O/S.

I do turn on Maximize Compatibility when saving PSB/PSD files. In Br I have set the limit for previews in Preferences to a large enough value that file size isn't a problem. 

Thanks.

TOPICS
Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Not Getting PSB Previews

Participant ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to File>Open in Ps and want to open a PSB file, I'm seeing no preview thumbnail of the image, just the PSB logo.

In Bridge, sometimes I get previews of some of the images, sometimes I get previews of none and other times previews of all images appear. On the weekend I was getting a few of the images previewing, today all of them do. When none/some were previewing, I did try the cache purge trick from this thread and it didn't work, https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/no-psb-preview/td-p/10139527

Have the latest versions of both Ps and Br installed. Working on a Surface Book 2 w/16GB of RAM and a Core i7 quad core processor. NVidia GTX 1060 GPU w/ latest drivers installed. This has been a problem over different driver and Ps/Br versions so it's not a matter that the latest updates are the issue. Win 10 Pro O/S.

I do turn on Maximize Compatibility when saving PSB/PSD files. In Br I have set the limit for previews in Preferences to a large enough value that file size isn't a problem. 

Thanks.

TOPICS
Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 08, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you install some Plug-in for Windows to generate thumbnails for .PSB file is system dialogs like file open.  I use FastPictureViewer Codec Pack.  It generates thumbnail for .psd files but not .psb files and if i rename *.psd to *.psdt  for templates I loose the .psd Thumbnail. So I uses .psd my scripts do not change templates files. I have no need for .psdt.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Participant ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No plugin. It shouldn't be necessary.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows hasn't natively shown PSD/PSB thumbnails since Photoshop v. 7.0. You need to have a third party codec installed.

In Bridge, set the preference "Do not process files larger than..." to a high enough number. The default is quite low (can't remember what it was).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Participant ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"In Bridge, set the preference "Do not process files larger than..." to a high enough number. The default is quite low (can't remember what it was)."

As noted in my original post, I have done this. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. If not even "purge cache for selection" will bring up a thumbnail, I'd delete the whole cache folder. It's under your user account if you haven't moved it.

The cache folder will rebuild, although it may take some time and test your patience in the process. It's last resort, but if even that doesn't work, something's very wrong somewhere.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Participant ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing you mean Windows 7, not Ps 7? I have installed a plugin and am getting the previews now in Ps when I go to File>Open. 

The issue with Bridge is it's inconsistent. As noted, sometimes none, other times a few, other times all. If it continues, I'll purge the entire cache. Yes, I know it will take time to rebuild. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Plug-in I installed is very old it does .PSD files knows nothing about .psdt  the a new extension and even a PSD saved as a PSB no thumbnail will be displayed, All my windows setting are set to show thumbnails  not icons.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Participant ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one I've now installed allows me to preview both. 

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what about the third one PSDT

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Participant ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you select Photoshop as the file format in the Save As dialogue, it automatically includes any of the three possible file extensions - PSD, PDD and PDST.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0