• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OId PSD files opening with no layers, just <background>

Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed recently that when I open PSD files from several years ago, 2012, 2011, 2010, they are opening flattened with a single 'background' layer. Photoshop doesn't bring up any errors, just opens the files with a single layer.

Initially I thought it was just the odd file, but I've gone back and looked at several from lots of different shoots and they all have the same problem.

Now I absolutely know that there would have been layers in the files, there's no way all those files would have been saved as flat PSDs. 

I've tried a couple of things:

• opened them in CS6 and CC2020, both flat
  • renamed them to PSB, still flat
  • Moved the files to a local internal dtive and opened from there, still flat

These files are on an external USB 4Gb hard drive, the were moved from a desktop onto the USB hard drive last year when I moved country. I can't imagine why but could they have flattened in transfer??

Files created in Photoshop in Windows and opening them in Windows.

I have no idea what to do, I've got useless PSD files with no clue as to what the original edits were.

Anyone else had a similar issue?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Try to open this PSD in other software compatible with PSD

Try to instal an older version of PSD

Maybe you can upload a file and we can help you

Take care

E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've already tried to open in CS6 and the files wouldn't have been created in a version older than that.

What software is also compatible with PSD files?

Here are a couple of examples:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkaFDiKtPhsdgccOyDGreXLVTh2aIA?e=UMdenI

I know this file definitely had sharpening and retouching done in PS, but no layers

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkaFDiKtPhsdgccPOP28j041Hxcg9Q?e=zRWvGq

This file definitely had some high-pass sharpening, again no layers

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you may have accientally flattened the files before saving them. 

What is the file size on disk and what is the Image Size of the opened image as indicated under Image > Image Size? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THe post box is 36mb on disk and 36mb in PS. There's no way I accidentally flattened dozens of images. I'm trying to determine if a PSD file can be flattened/corrupted in any other way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»THe post box is 36mb on disk and 36mb in PS.«

As the Layers would of necessity mean data that seems to indicate that you did not save Layers. 

If Photoshop would disregard existing Layers they would still have to have some effect on the file’s size as indicated in the OS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried opening them in GIMP and both are flattened images with no layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that's the issue, they should have layers, as above, if it was one or two then maybe I 'accidentally' flattended them on saving, but we're talking dozens of images here and there's no way I flattened all of them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Saving without layers is very easy to do, and to miss, if you ever saved as a PDF and missed the warning about settings for the PDF save impacting on future saves. After that innocuous warning, the next time you save as a PSD the "layers" checkbox will be unchecked. There is a small, and easily missed, warning triangle in the save dialogue but many have been caught out by it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines