Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Older Photoshop - Can't Open ARW files.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I have an older version of Photoshop, 19.1.9 running on my older 2009 Mac Pro, 10.11.6 Can't upgrade anything more.

Still does everything I want to do. Unfortunately Camera Raw does not support newer ARW RAW files and I cannot open them. I tried DNG, no go.

Any suggestions on how to open them? Maybe a third party app?

Shouldn't have to buy a new computer just to open a file!

Thank you, Glenn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ARW files from which camera exactly?

>>>. I tried DNG, no go.

Can you elaborate on what steps you took and where the DNG converter failed?

DNG conversion is designed for people in your position and should work.

One issue many people encounter is that the converter works by pointing it to a folder of images, not individual images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey John, thank you for the reply.

I don't know which Sony camera they are from. It's a client file.

With the operating system on my Mac of 10.11.6 the latest DNG convertor I can install appears to not recognize this particular ARW file.

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if you're running an ancient Mac, you're not going to be able to install the latest version of the converter in order to convert a ARW file from a current model Sony. All depends on which camera was used.

Time to upgrade your operating system or your Mac or ask the client to provide you with a DNG file.

If you upload your ARW file here, someone should be able to convert it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A shame. My Mac does everything it needs to do. A waste to get rid of it. It has served me well. Just a tiny little software glitch has thrown a wrench into things! Client has sent me a different file format, so good for now.

Thanks, Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this is a year old question, but I have a solution. I use ancient CS3 and I ran into the problem trying to edit Sony A7III files.

Step 1: Get The Adobe DNG Converter

Step 2: Open it and select the file or folder for conversion

Step 3: IMPORTANT - Change your conversion preferences. It defaults to "Compatibility: Camera Raw 11 or later" Change this to an older version. For me, I had to change it to "Camera Raw 4.6 or later" so that CS3 could open the files.

Works for me. Hope it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines