Highlighted

On save-for-web, the file extension is not automatically added

Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I save the file using Save-for-web as jpg, or png, the file extension is not automatically added. How can you fix this?

Photoshop version: 22.0.0

TOPICS
Bug, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

On save-for-web, the file extension is not automatically added

Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I save the file using Save-for-web as jpg, or png, the file extension is not automatically added. How can you fix this?

Photoshop version: 22.0.0

TOPICS
Bug, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 11, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use Catalina... Or use a script.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very helpful. How about I stop using MacOS, eh?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 0
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't shoot the messenger!

There have been what seems like hundreds of people complaining about filenames, overwriting or not overwriting and numerous other issues with Catalina on various Photoshop discussion boards such as this.

Adobe has not fixed the issues with Catalina and guess what, the next macOS is shortly due for release.

Photoshop and later macOS releases after Mojave have been a bit of a trainwreck... But even good old Windows has had issues of late with the 2021 release.

Scripting can work around the issues with Catalina and Photoshop, however, most people just hope and wait for Adobe to correct things (which is not an unreasonable expectation as far as that goes).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 0
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing happens on macOS Mojave with photoshop 2021 (Photoshop version: 22.0.0) as well.

Was not that way with previous photoshop versions and macOS Mojave.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-save-for-web-mojave/5f8fa4d572a09d0...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for pointing this out, I would downgrade to Mojave if you didn't mention this. 

So it is not Mc, and it is not Catalina, it is just Photoshop, 20.

Good job Photoshop!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From memory the problems started with Catalina and 2019 or 2020, I really can't recall exactly. It feels like forever that such reports as this topic thread have been taking place. I still use Mojave and 2019 for "reliable" work. Scripting would be my suggestion to overcome such issues.

EDIT: Some examples of the issues that I was talking about –

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/save-for-web-excluding-file-extension-in-output-file/m-p/10...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/file-extension-naming-issues-saving-in-catalina/m-p/1091738...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/saving-as-copy-instead-of-overwriting/m-p/10691659

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/file-name-and-extension-highlight-when-saving-on-macos-10-1...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was working before Photoshop 20. 
Tbc, "script" is not a solition, it can be calked a hack.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 1