• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ones photoshop have to run OpenGL 3.3 or higher?

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought a pc for photography, and when I open photoshop and go to a filter it saying I need to upgrade my graphics card to OpenGL 3.3 or higher. I have a AMD Radeon RX 5700 TX card and I can't get it to upgrade to that OpenGL version...it just stays at 1.1. Has anybody ran into this problem?

Thank you

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct. 

See Photoshop's new GPU requirements. See links below.
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Alternatively, revert to your previous PS version until you can get new equipment.  Video cards are very scarce & pricey right now.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'll try an earlier version of photoshop but my PC is only two weeks old. It has the latest graphics card in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain.  Many "new" PC's are being shipped with cards that were assembled pre-COVID as that's the ONLY inventory until factories get back up to full production again.

https://www.amazon.com/OpenGL-3-video-card/s?k=OpenGL+3.3+video+card

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's great, I just spent $1900.00 on a Dell XPS 8940

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't happen to have dual GPUs by any chance? That will usually cause problems. In that case you need to disable the integrated Intel GPU.

OpenGL is no longer supported on Mac or Windows, so I don't know what that message is supposed to mean.

The current requirement in Windows is DirectX 12.

Photoshop’s entire GPU code, 15 years of development, is currently in the process of being migrated from OpenGL to Metal on Mac, DirectX on Windows. That’s a monumental task that they are still working on. It means that basically everything relating to displaying stuff on screen has to be rewritten, as well as many special functions. So it's a bit of a bumpy ride. If the current version isn't working well, you can try reverting to 22.2 or 22.3 and see if that works better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

That is a recent card and according to several sites I've just checked should support Open GL: 4.6  So try going to the AMD website and make sure you download and install the latest driver. Both PC manufacturers and Windows are known for loading older drivers.

When choosing the version go for the Enterprise version - these are similar to NVidia Studio drivers and are tested for use with creative software rather than being released for games.

If your CPU also has on board graphics then make sure they are disabled. You want apps to use the AMD 5700 not any integrated GPU.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downgraded photoshop and it is working. But I still don't know if my pc is running the AMD graphics card... I don't mean to sound dull but how would I go about doing that? I use GPU-Z but it just tells me that their both using OpenGL 1.1.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines