• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Only old version of photoshop file on mac

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm having a missing file disaster!

I updated my mac to the newest OS (Big Sur 11.3) yesterday after working on a photoshop file for quite a few hours. I know I saved the file multiple times before quitting photoshop and updating my mac. I also updated Photoshop today (22.3.1). So when I got on my computer tonight to work on the file some more, I see the file in Finder, but it's an old version from like a week ago. I thought maybe the file got deleted, but why would an old version still be on my computer? It's like I just didn't save days worth of work, but I know for a fact I did. Obviously, I am heartbroken over losing tons of progress on this digital painting I was working on. I've looked all over in my files and recovery folders and tried multiple recovery software without any luck. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Time Machine set up on your Mac?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I did but unfortunately my external hard drive it was attached to got unplugged without me knowing so no help there. The last backup was way before I even started on this one sadly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like it may be gone, but try a Spotlight search across your entire HD with filters for the date and image type.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm having a missing file disaster!

I updated my mac to the newest OS (Big Sur 11.3) yesterday after working on a photoshop file for quite a few hours. I know I saved the file multiple times before quitting photoshop and updating my mac. I also updated Photoshop today (22.3.1). So when I got on my computer tonight to work on the file some more, I see the file in Finder, but it's an old version from like a week ago. I thought maybe the file got deleted, but why would an old version still be on my computer? It's like I just didn't save days worth of work, but I know for a fact I did. Obviously, I am heartbroken over losing tons of progress on this digital painting I was working on. I've looked all over in my files and recovery folders and tried multiple recovery software without any luck. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you have done a Save As as opposed to a Save at some point and accidentally created a second file. Have you explicitly searched your drive(s) for that file name. You might find multiple instances. Best of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I did search my drives for that specific name in multiple areas and the same file only shows up, the older one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've searched my entire HD for files that are just .psd without any luck. I'm still stumped on this and believe the progress I made has vanished and I'm never getting it back. Still don't understand how the file could revert back to an old version when I saved it multiple time across multiple days and even opening it from recents in photoshop before this all happened. The file was still in recents but it was again the older version. Thanks for the advice but I think I have to just take the L and move on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @kaylal18656463 

My MO is to do a Save As daily (sometimes more) and include the date in the file name. Some folks number them. You can delete the older ones when they are no longer needed, but you never lose more than a day's work. For me, I've never lost anything, but I've been doing it this way since the early days. It's also a good idea to save backups to a second or third location incrementally.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines