Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open a one page pdf from Illustrator into layers

Explorer ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a one-page pdf document with photos and text. The file was created in Illustrator and exported as a pdf document. I would like to open this pdf in PS 2020 and be able to edit the layers. I can't find the options to do this. The file comes into PS as one and I cannot separate the layers.

I'm using PS on a Mac with OS Catalina.

Many thanks

Stephen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been a while and I am not in front of Illustrator, however, I believe that there is a feature to export or save a layered PSD from Illustrator.

If a PDF is saved with an embedded copy of the original AI file, then that is what Illustrator will open, not the PDF. I'm guessing that Photoshop reads the main PDF data, not the embedded AI data. Keep in mind that layers in a PDF are not the same as layers in other apps. A PDF is flat, it does not have layers, PDF layers are actually Optional Content Groups (OCG) and are more like a content filter than a layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Stephen. I'm on the hunt for the PSD file now. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen is right there is a feature to export a psd from Illustrator. In Illustrator choose File > Export > Export as. In the list of file formats choose Photoshop (PSD). In the Photoshop Export Options there is an option 'Write Layers'. 

Marja_de_Klerk_0-1590660042793.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you open the PDF, do you see the Acrobat top-level layers in Acrobat's Layers panel? It's optional when saving a PDF from Illustrator.

15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines