Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open as Layers has stopped working - Photoshop 2019

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I am using the latest Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC.

My workflow often sees me selecting multiple images in Lightroom and choosing; Edit in --> Edit in Photoshop CC 2019 --> Open as Layers in Photoshop.

Both apps are updated and this functionality appears to have stopped working?

Photoshop opens and when it finally stops the import i am left with the two files separately loaded and two layers, one of which is one of the layers and the other is labelled Load Layers.

Any ideas as to what has gone astray?

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That shouldn't be happening, as you're using Photoshop 2019, could you try updating it to version 2020 and Lightroom Classic to version 9.2 via the Creative Cloud Desktop app and let us know if it helps?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any resolution to this? I'm experiencing the same thing.  thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue when trying to open raw files as layers but if I upload jpegs it works ok. I'm assuming the raw files are too big. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been haunting me for months now. I shoot real estate and architecture, and my daily workflow involves using the "open as layers in Photoshop" repeatedly in order to stack separately lit raw frames to produce a final image which is saved back into Lightroom as a PDS. The raw files are .NEF sized at about 22mb each. I'm running the newest versions of Lightroom Classic and Photoshop on a 2020 iMac - 128gb RAM, 8-core i7 processor, a 2TB SSD, and Radeon Pro 5500 XT graphics card. The hardware is not the problem. This issue of the process stalling occurs randomly, but happens so often that it doubles the time needed to complete a job. I've researched the problem extensively, and tried reinstalling both apps, deleting preference files, & reinstalling Mac OS as suggested by various sources, but the issue persists. Converting files to jpeg, then importing to LR makes no difference. Apparently Adobe are aware of the bug, but I'd really like an explanation, and timescale for resolution. It's a basic, core function, and it needs to be addressed before messing about with the more sexy neural filters and stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same issue. I frequently use this feature and have never had a problem with it until now. For the last few weeks, every time I try ot load a series of LR images as PS layers, PS will create one image with 2-4 of the LR images and a second PS file with one of the LR images. This is really frustrating and a big time-waster. I have cleared my preferences and reinstalled the apps with no change. The only thing I have not done is updating from PS 2020 to 2021, given the problems others are reporting with 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest version of Photoshop which was released a few days ago seems to have addressed the issue finally and completely. I've had no problems with files ranging from 2 to 12 layers deep. Adobe promised a fix a while back, and has come good as far as I can tell. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running the latest all updated apps and still not working properly. I need to load multiple focus stacked raw images into Photoshop from Lightroom Classic, and it stops after loading two layers. Maddening! I need to try over and over, sometimes works after the 5th try or more. This is killing my workflow, so please get this figured out. I have a loaded 2020 iMac, Catalina 10.15.5 so hardware and OS shouldn't be an issue. How much more should I pay per month for the software to work properly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having issues with this as well. I just updated to the latest version and am still seeing this issue. Has anyone found a solution to this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest release has just started this for me. I have never experienced this before but now its totally messing with my workflow which I use all day long.. Even going back to old version it now persists??, Adobe please work it out... I had issue with software freezing during editing for long time but now this new issue... If aint broke dont touch i say

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the 22.5.1 version and this issue is back in spades. Mac IOS 10.14.6. One of the prior updates also had this issue, so I downgraded and skipped. The prior version to THIS one was fine. Now it's back again. Is there a fix? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I had to guess, it is the IOS version causing the problem. It happened on an off with OSX, whichever PS version I used. But since going to IOS 11.5.2 (Big Sur) and version 22.5.1, no problems (with Photoshop, that is. Premiere is a different matter!) Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrading to Big Sur made no difference. It's incredibly frustrating to have to re-open over and over until they all open up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found what seems be the solution, so posting for others in case they run into this issue. Reset Lightroom Classic preferences. 

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

I just did that, and now have opened a series of images as layers in PS from LR Classic w/o it stopping after loading the 2nd layer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had to revert to Photoshop version 22.4.2 via the Creative Cloud app to restore normal function. All subsequent builds present the same problem - I tried all of them one by one. It's therefore definitely a Photoshop issue, rather than anything to do with Lightroom Classic. I'm resigned to Neural filters & various AI features being the priority now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines