Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open Illustrator AI file in Photoshop with layers

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, hope you can help.

Is it possible to open an AI file (importantly preserving the layers) in Photoshop without the use of Illustrator first?  I don't possess Illustrator, only Photoshop. As I understand it needs to a PSD format.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see no option for that. 

One can export psd from Illustrator but even that can be problematic when Transparency is involved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does not have support for vector file layers.  The nearest you can come to late support for Illustrator files is to save SVG vector files.  These are sored like Text files they cans be read by a Photoshop script and most Feature of an svg can be made into Photoshop layers.  It not fast and not all is supported.  There  is a Product calls SVG Layers. 

Here I download Freesample.svg from Adobe. I opened Freesample in Photoshop 22.3.1 It imported as a raster layer "Layer 1" the has some transparency. I then use Place to Place in Freesample. It place in as a vector smart object layer named Freesample.  I then used Svg Layer Import Freesample.  A new  Layerd document was created containing layer groups. Each Freesample image looked the same. So I dragged   Later 1 and vector smart object layer into the SVG Layered documents. I tripled the canvas height and disruptive the thee images so you cans see the results.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you JJMAck, very imformative and useful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines