• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open URL in browser via Photoshop

Participant ,
Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this possible? I don't need a clickable link for the user or anything, I just need the script to open a URL in the users default browser. How would I go about doing this?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

function openURL(url) {

var fname = "shortcut.url";

var shortcut = new File(Folder.temp + '/' + fname);

shortcut.open('w');

shortcut.writeln('[InternetShortcut]');

shortcut.writeln('URL=' + url);

shortcut.writeln();

shortcut.close();

shortcut.execute();

shortcut.remove();

};

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

function openURL(url) {

var fname = "shortcut.url";

var shortcut = new File(Folder.temp + '/' + fname);

shortcut.open('w');

shortcut.writeln('[InternetShortcut]');

shortcut.writeln('URL=' + url);

shortcut.writeln();

shortcut.close();

shortcut.execute();

shortcut.remove();

};

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks xbytor2, this works great! I don't quite understand how exactly it works though. When I first ran it, it just opened Safari (which isn't my default browser) but didn't load the page. It was only when removed shortcut.remove() did it actually open the URL.

If you don't mind explaining, I'd love to know what each line of this function does it order for it to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They way I figure this out was to drop a link from a browser on to my Desktop. I did this with, IE and Firefox on Win7 and Safari and Firefox in OS X.

It turns out the simplest format is

[ImageShortcut]

URL=https://forums.adobe.com/

Put that in to a file with a .url  extension and you're good to go. The only weird thing is that Windows requires a blank line at the end of the file while OS X doesn't care.

I probably should remove the remove()  call.

All of the stuff in the code is just simple File I/O code. Nothing magic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 25, 2015 Nov 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to ask another question, xbytor2, but do you know if it's possible to get it to open the URL in a specific browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a clue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should probably use the browser the user chose to set as their default browser application. 

You can test which OS the users is running and the test if the browser you want to use is install in its normal location.  If it exists you could most likely write some system command file like a DOS bat file if windows to start the browser passing it an HTML file you wrote that redirects the browser the the URL you want opened.  What I did when I wanted to open my Help URL was I wrote a HTML file and through it over the wall. Let the user default  file association application open the html file.  I wrote the file to temp space and did not remove it.

// A Photoshop Script by JJMack's

// This script is supplied as is. It is provided as freeware.

// The author accepts no liability for any problems arising from its use.

#target photoshop

app.bringToFront();

/*

<javascriptresource>

<name>HelpPhotoCollageToolkit</name>

<about>$$$/JavaScripts/HelpPhotoCollageToolkit/About=Web Help for JJMack's Photo Collage Toolkit.^r^rCopyright 2010 Mouseprints.^r^rOpen Browser Toolkit Help Page</about>

<category>JJMack's Collage Script</category>

</javascriptresource>

*/

try{

var URL = new File(Folder.temp + "/PhotoCollageToolkit.html");

URL.open("w");

URL.writeln('<html><HEAD><meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/PhotoCollageToolkit.html"></HEAD></HTML>');

URL.close();

URL.execute();   // The temp HTML file  created

}catch(e){

alert("Error, Can Not Open.");

};

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 26, 2015 Nov 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMack,

I guess the script xbytor2 provided should open it in their default chosen browser, but on a OSX it always opens it in Safari, regardless of which one they have set as their default.

Thank you very much for the script - I'll give this a shot and see what I can do. Otherwise, I don't think it's the end of the world if it opens in another browser

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very ugly solution to my taste, but indeed it remains as the only one familiar to me to use in my script for Adobe Photoshop CC 2018. If anyone has better API call not involving the creation of local temp file, but opening system's default browser instead would be most welcome!

Anyways... Thanks JJMack​ for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

system('"'+ File('/C/Program Files (x86)/Google/Chrome/Application/chrome.exe').fsName + '" www.adobe.com')

System is limited so if browser wasn't opened yet, then Photoshop.exe will take it as its child and will take care of as long as you won't cut umbilical cord. You have to close either command prompt or browser, both manually. Only then you can use back Photoshop / ExtendScript ToolKit. If browser was opened before you executed that system command then Photoshop just added new tab to existing one, so wouldn't be "resposible" for it's working, as it wasn't run by Photoshop.exe process. If you used bat then you can write to file multiline commands, and this way start chrome.exe process not by Ps but other spot in your system. But you don't want to create file for this task, so you're not having big choise you're stuck with side-effect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True indeed. Amd this absolute path to a specific browser is also not to my taste. Thank you for mentioning it though. Indeed. JavaScript might be not the best option for Adobe Photoshop. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's something with .bat (what you didn't want), but only to kill the command prompt process that ran internet browser. It opens specific browser though, but if not specific one which one you'd like to be opened, that set as default? I don't know method for opening default one yet, but I know that with visual basic (.vbs) you can open command line silently. Still there is need to save file to disk to execute it.

(fle = new File(Folder.temp.absoluteURI + '/' + 'taskkill.bat')).open('w')

fle.write('ping 127.0.0.1 -n .1 > nul\rtaskkill /im cmd.exe'), fle.close(), fle.execute()

system('"' + File('/C/Program Files (x86)/Google/Chrome/Application/chrome.exe')

.fsName + '" www.adobe.com'), fle.remove()

EDIT: I found it - that was easier than making whole above code. You open default browser without killing cmd process

system('start http://adobe.com')

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, the fle.execute() call will not work on OSX. The file's execute bit is not set by default. I don't know if I ever came up with a solution that works for both OSs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope then that very short solution (from edited part of my post) works also for OSX, but if not then maybe my first code from the same post would work too. I mean without killing cmd process (what is specific for Windows). If so the only code there is needed for OSX is that from reply number 10 of this theard? If someone can test it. please let us know how it works.

EDIT: I see many links on your site are broken. Do you plan to fix them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I see many links on your site are broken. Do you plan to fix them?

Somebody else said something similar. Which site and which links?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG I was sure I put the link - just try some. If you're lucky you get error: xtools​ for ex. these two:

CVS Info for project ps-scripts

CVS Info for project ps-scripts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The page ps-scripts.sourceforge.net/xtools.html was last edited in 2008 which was back in the CS2 era. I stopped updating because Adobe abandoned the HTML editor that I was using and I really didn't feel like learning a new one.

But the main problem here is that SourceForge is phasing out support for CVS. Looks like I'll have to move things over to Git.

The most immediate effect is that you can't browse for particulars in xtools via CVS which is what the links in xtool.html refer to.

You are stuck having to download a zip file rather than download a single .jsx file.

I guess this means I'll have to relearn Git and update my build scripts. I'll post on here when everything is ready.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I even didn't know we could use some Adobe HMTL editor. Probably there are more abandoned produtcs / tools they were useful but for some reason will be now on part of history. Thx for explanation. Anyway I like more old site, than modern Git.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kukurykus​​, is this xtools really still working (with PS 2018)? Seems great, but hasn't been updated in the past 3 years....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the question to xbytor2​.

How do you like my new attempt? ie:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kukurykus  wrote:

How do you like my new attempt? ie:

Is start a Windows thing? If so, it could be:

function openURL(url) {

var open = $.os.match(/windows/i) ? 'start' : 'open';

system(open + " " + url);

}

Davide

Davide Barranca - PS developer and author
www.ps-scripting.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny that was so easy, as earlier I tried more complex methods to do the same. xbytor2 wil be happy with OSX 'open'!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where do I put the link to open site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

openURL('http://adobe.com')

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines