• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening a PSD document that was made using a different text engine?

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2014 Jan 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All -

I'm running Photoshop CS6 on Windows 7, and I recently had to switch my "Text Engine Options" from "Middle Eastern" to "East Asian" as 'Middle Eastern' option was causing wierd type-related issues. After switching to East Asian and restarting Photoshop, I'm having troubles opening any Photoshop document that was created with the 'Middle Eastern' text engine option.

When I attempt to open a document, I am presented with a dialogue that reads "The document was created with a different text engine option, please open...
" - when I click 'Okay' a new dialogue appears. This one reads: "Some text layers might need updating before they can be used for vector based output. do you want to update these layers now?" and I am given the option to click "No" or "Update". When I click 'Update' an error is given ("could not complete your request because of a program error"). When I click 'No', it opens the document but presents an error when I attempt to save said document ("could not complete your request because of a program error").

I can revert my text engine option to "Middle Eastern" and successfully open/save the document, but like I mentioned above - 'Middle Eastern' was giving me severe typing & display issues. I am hoping someone can assist me in opening these documents using the updated text engine option. Thank you so much in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried a similar workflow. I changed my Text Engine Option to Middle Eastern, relaunched Photoshop (as this change requires), created a new file and added text. I saved the file, changed my Text Engine to East Asian, restarted Photoshop again, and opened the file. I get the same first message as you ("The document was created with a different text engine...") but I get nothing else after that, no other messages. I am able to edit the text without issue.

From this point of view, it seems there is something extra going on with these files.

Please try the experiement that I mention above and see if you get similar results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following your steps yielded the same results as you. I noticed that when using the test document for this, I didn't receive the message about updating text layers. Is the issue perhaps being caused by a font in the other document (the document that is having trouble opening after text engine switch)? I am using a few "aftermarket" (third-party purchased/downloaded) fonts in the document, but I used one of these fonts in the test document which opened fine.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get this file to open? Note, when opening the troubled-file, if I choose not to update the text layers the document will open, but when I edit the text it still appears to be using the bad text engine (Middle Eastern). I really need to figure out how to open this file using East Asian. Thanks for working with me so far, hope I can get this resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 03, 2014 Feb 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner. Would you be able to send me the file for me to examine? If it'll fit in an email, send it to bnemecek [AT] adobe [DOT] com. If it's too big for that, we can arrange an FTP upload or something similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines