Highlighted

Opening smart objects

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was working with smart objects in photoshop and sudently it opens a window asking me which application do I wanted to open the smart object, and I selected illustrator by my fault.

Now I want to open the smart object in photoshop and it goes to illustrator making a flatt image of my vector...What do I do?

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Import and export, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Opening smart objects

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was working with smart objects in photoshop and sudently it opens a window asking me which application do I wanted to open the smart object, and I selected illustrator by my fault.

Now I want to open the smart object in photoshop and it goes to illustrator making a flatt image of my vector...What do I do?

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Import and export, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 03, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I was working with smart objects in photoshop and sudently it opens a window asking me which application"

Did you try to open the Smart Object or not? If you tried to open the Smart Object how was the Smart Object Layer created in the document you were working in?   I have only seen a dialog open ask what application when I try to open some file type that my Windows system has no application associated with.    It sound like the Object file type was not a file type the Photoshop supports so Photoshop through the file to your OS to open and you OS had no application associated with the file extension.  I would have thought if it was a Vector smart object like  a .svg or .ai that if you had Illustrator installed the it would be associated with .svg and .ai the Illustrator would open.  I do not install Illustrator.  If I open a vector smart object and its and .svg Chrome displays the images. If its and .ai note pad opens it as a text file.  No dialog asking what application.   So why did the dialog happen to you and what type of file did illustrator one when you chose illustrator.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I tried to open and now, when I want to open in illustrator it asks me this:

Screenshot_1.jpg

Is was a normal .ai file tha I drag into photoshop.

Maybe its a windows bug but I don't know how to fix it..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 0
JJMack LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you should as in the Illustrator forum.    You may also want to open the .ai file in notepad to see it there are any paths in it or it its all pixel data.  Photoshop is a pixels edited it support a few vector type layers.  I do not install AI I doe not want to learn how to use an other complex Adobe application.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 1