• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Option (Alt) + Click while using the pen tool has become extremely intermittent.

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My normal workflow while pathing is:

1. Click to drop a point
  2. Click and hold to drop a second point and drag the pen to adjust the path to the required curve
  3. Without releasing the previous click hold down the option key to split the directional points and pre-ajust the path for the next anchor point.

As of version 21 (Currently have version 21.1.1 installed) step 3 has become extremely intermittent, about 1 in 5 times the option key press is not registered and the points are not split but the entire previous path is adusted instead. I thought it may be my keyboard going so I tried another and still no luck. I have reset the tool and also reset Photoshop preferences but still no luck.

Is anyone else seeing this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t reproduce the issue (21.1 on macOS 10.15.3). 

What is your OS version? 

Do you work with mouse or tablet? 

And to rule out mechanic issues have you tried the other alt-key? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sound like you are using Window WinTab Pen support API.

Here is what I see using Photoshop's Polygonal Lasso tool with my Wacom pen with the bottom pen button set to Alt+Right Click when I randomly move the pen and randomly tap the bottom button.

Adobe Broke Photoshop WinTab support in update 21.1.0 and did not fit WinTab support in update 21.1.1. If you are on Windows and use Photoshop version 21.1.x user Windows INK api.

With 21.1.1 sometime the buttom seem to act only as Right Click not Alt+Right Click the Brush tip dialog will  open the size and hardness of the  brush tip will not change via dragging.  This also happens with WinTab support in CC 2019.  So I can not state its a Adobe or Wacom issue. IMO the issue could be in Adobe or  Wacom or both developers source code.

Capture.jpg

Adobe Broke Photoshop WinTab support in update 21.1.0 and did not fit WinTab support in update 21.1.1. If you are on Windows and use Photoshop version 21.1.x user Windows INK api.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to use pen tool when I am holding the alt key

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.  Alt Click is not working for the pen tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2023 Dec 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure: Are you certain you are hovering the cursor on a Curve Point or on a Bezier Handle? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 26 years Photoshop experience. Yes, using the pen tool as always. Works in older versions correctly. Does not work in the newest updates. I'm using a PC with no accessories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on Mac, so a Windows-specific bug would not be reproducable for me. 

Which exact version of Photoshop are you using? 

If you are using the Beta: That’s your choice and you may want to consider using the released version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Beta Version Alt + Click is not working, in normal version its working well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to avoid »bonus« bugs (additional to the bugs that exist/persist in the released version) don’t use the Beta version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is not the idea of a beta to test for bugs? I personally use both versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And therefore any complaints about bugs in a Beta version seem nonsensical here. 

The proper place would be the Forum for the Beta version, wouldn’t it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This started as users not understanding why alt click wasn't working (not understanding it was a beta bug). Or thinking that the function had been changed to work in a different way - asking for help. Which, I believe, this board is for. Now that the answer has been narrowed down to a beta issue, I will happily report it there. I believe it is ok to ask questions here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually this thread was started back in 2020 and with Photoshop 2021 so it probably was a different issue anyway. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2024-01-09 130202.pngPhotoshop(beta) 25.4: This anchor point is not showing. Plzz Help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beta essentially means: Use it at your own risk because it may contain bugs. 

Just use the released version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same experience... in 2024... has anyone found a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines