Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Photoshop CS5 Windows file server save issue

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Lion to Mountain Lion upgrade.

Cannot save or save as to Windows server. Due to "program error." Adobe Photoshop CS5. Can save as fine to local drive. Can also drag and drop in the Finder to this server.

This is Photoshop CS5 12.0.4 (current).

Once the error "could not save filename due to a program error" occurs, the file disappears from the Windows server.

I think it has something to due with the SMB connection.

All other CS5 apps (InDesign, Illustrator, etc.) "save" and "save as" fine. It is also fine performing the same procedure using Preview.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Seems like I found solution for myself -

I created (it didn't exist) the /etc/nsmb.conf file, with the contents:

#######

[default]

streams=no

#######

It's an Apple problem, not Adobe

found here http://www.macwindows.com/lion-filesharing.html#072611a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2012 Jul 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. 

Check this thread and add your observations.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4583148#4583148

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact problem.

Issue happens in CS5 after Mountain Lion Upgrade 10.8

when using CS5 to save files via a SMB connection to a Windows Server the following error is displayed "could not save filename due to a program error"

however file save functionality in other programs / finder succeeds as expected with no issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also have exact problem. Had it before 10.8 but now it gets worse - file deletes after this error. Other apps works fine. Local saving also works fine. Suitcase Fusion plugin for Photoshop is disabled (read somewhere here about it causing problems but not in my case). We have huge windows server disks (3 Tb).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More info to the above situation.

Windows Server 2008 r2 and 2003 r2. No changes made to any server. No changes to any permissions. All SOP until I installed OS X 10.8.

I'm aware of Adobe's official policy on saving to a networked server. Don't belive in it, but I know of it. Have never experienced any issues concerning that since about 1990. None.

Installed Photoshop CS6 on another machine to see how that went. Results were the same with one exception...with CS6, after receiving the error, the file on the server does not disappear.

Also, saving to a shared Mac continues to work great. Both CS5 and CS6. No problems.

Not much help still.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek Holiman wrote:

…I'm aware of Adobe's official policy on saving to a networked server. Don't belive in it, but I know of it. Have never experienced any issues concerning that since about 1990. None…

Adobe's "policy" or position is that saving across a network should work, and it does for most users.

What they're telling us is that if it's not working in our case, we're on our own, because they can't support or troubleshoot our network.  In other words, if you are experiencing problems working across a network, you have two choices:

!.— Make sure your network administrator is a competent professional who can fix it; or

2.— Save locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem too, after Mountain Lion update working with Photoshop CS5 + Windows Server via SMB.

It was working fine with Mac OS 10.7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like I found solution for myself -

I created (it didn't exist) the /etc/nsmb.conf file, with the contents:

#######

[default]

streams=no

#######

It's an Apple problem, not Adobe

found here http://www.macwindows.com/lion-filesharing.html#072611a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now we're talking! Thanks badly+.

nsmb.conf file worked for me too. Will run for a day or two to see how the performance is, but it looks good so far.

Just sayin', always figured it was on Apple, ultimately, with all their chnages with SMB. It was their OS upgrade that changed. I get it. Also don't see it as a problem, it's just progress. Was figuring it would get sorted out in the 10.8.1 release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reporting here the workaround, badly+.

I wish some part of the documentation at the link you provided would actually describe what that setting does, and whether there are any downsides.

Do you (or anyone) know of documentation that describes just what that setting does?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also found this.

http://gsfn.us/t/30xro

There's a post from Kimmo about setting Photoshops File Handling option to never save image previews. I removed the nsmb.conf file and changed this Photoshop setting. I still have Column Preview availble in Column view of OS X.

It works too. For me anyway. Photoshop CS5 will now save and save as normally to SMB server (File Server 2008 r2).

Seems better to go this route instead of dealing with it at the OS level. Just me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed - especially when the underlying OS and other Apps work as expected without OS modification, it points to a Photoshop application issue not an OS issue.

Jonathan Hughes,

Sr. Information Systems Analyst

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS modification?  It's a setting, not a modification.

And maybe that setting choice makes perfect sense for use with a Windows server - which is why I'm seeking more information on what it really means.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel - the SMB setting changes the way the MAC OS writes to SMB file stores - it's not optimal.

a few quick googlz for this setting and appledouble files should convince anyone this isn't a good choice.

for every file you save you will now have two forked files.

soooo if I save a file called "myfile.jpg"  - then normally you have a file on the smb vol named "myfile.jpg"

however......

once you set the smb setting discussed here you will now have instead

"._myfile.jpg" and "myfile.jpg"

Ultimately one would hope Adobe would fix it's method of saving data verses the SMB mod that throws you into the dark ages -that's just my opinion however - perhaps some may like having double files all over the server

Jonathan Hughes MCT, MCSE, MCITP, ScrumMaster

Sr. Information Systems Analyst

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe can't easily change it's code to avoid an OS filesystem bug (that appears to be SMB specific).

Apparently the double file version avoids the OS bug.

Apple is aware of the problem, and we are working with them on solutions to this OS bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If its SMB specific why does turning off the CS5 save preview feature fix it?

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because that (like the system change above) avoids the problem in the file system code.

BTW - turning off previews makes it less likely to occur, it doesn't fix the OS bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could understand that Chris if the underlying save failed but it doesn't. If there is a SMB bug why does it only effect your product? I would think if it were a SMB bug then I would see this happen in other save functions from other programs - or the OS itself, that uses the same buggy SMB - but they all work fine on my systems and only Adobe products exhibit the behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The underlying save does fail, which is what causes the program error message.

If other products do error checking on the same APIs, they would see the same error.

We've already been through this with Apple, BTW.  They know it's their bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Chris - keep us posted if you hear new things, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2015 May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're in 2015 and this is still an issue with the latest updates from Apple. Any one confirm that the save to network storage problem in Photoshop is gone with the newest version of Photoshop Creative Cloud?

Here's what's happening in our shop as of May, 2015 with both AFP and SMB server connections:

We are using Photoshop CS 5.1, Version 12.1 x64. I believe this is the most up to date version of our CS5.1 software.

We are on OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.3.

When connected to the server via afp (in server log it says "AFP client")

Photoshop gives this error on a save after some changes are made to the file: "Could not save "file name" because write access was not granted." Then, as soon as you hit ok, the file is deleted from the server and is gone within a minute or so. If no change was made to the file, save works fine.

If you use "save as" and keep the same file name, it will usually fail with the same error as above. If you use save as and type in a new file name, all works fine.

If logged in via SMB (in the server log is says "CIFS client")

When you try to save, the error changes to "could not save "file name" because the file was not found." And then as soon as you hit OK on the error, the file is deleted from the server. Using Save As and inputing a different file name presented a new problem, it always says "could not save as "file name" because the file was not found." (in this case SMB seems to be worse than an AFP connection).

This is very frustrating and has been going on in the forums for over 3 years. Shared network environments are commonplace today. It seems to be centered around photoshop and OSX. All other software we use has been working fine with the server / network attached storage.

Thanks for any guidance. Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

/etc/nsmb.conf changes (Author didn't say - where I must write it. On server side or at OS X. I made it on os x) - didn't help.

"never save image previews" opt in ps - didn't help.

Usually I can create/write files on smb fs (not from photoshop). Also I can create/write files from windows os/photoshop to smb fs.

For me this question wasn't solved. Use os x hfs fs and after it I copy file to smb over Finder. Every time!

Use all it on work. OS X 10.11, cs 2014.

samba -V

Version 4.1.6-Ubuntu

At home - windows&davinci resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information, Jon.  Not knowing my way around Mac circles very well (but wanting to learn more) I wasn't able to quickly uncover that information.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines