• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OTF font tails not showing

Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having issues with OTF font tails not showing. First photo shows how the end of each word is clipped off. As you can see, "standard ligatures" option is selected.

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 2.02.26 PM copy.png

But in TextEdit or any other OTF-supporting app, the tails appear as expected, like below:

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 2.22.47 PM.png

The font developer says "Adobe applications do not use the standard Mac or Windows line layout routines, and the Adobe routines have a bug that doesn't display the end of word tails automatically. Press Option-T to manually add a tail at the end of a word." I tried Option-T, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm using the most recent update of Photoshop CC.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a bug with this specific font developer and Adobe. There really isn't anything outside of their recommendation that can be done at this time, but you can file a bug report here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To do Optiion+T place the type cursor at the end of the word and the press Option+T to get the tail.

fontv.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff -- I had tried that with the font and it didn't work, but then just tried with with the same demo font you used and it does work, so must be the specific font.

Even if that does work, it'll be too much of a pain to do this after every word. Do you have any idea if this is an Adobe issue or an issue with the font itself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would report the issue with the link given by kstohimeyer1 above and see what adobe says.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

You would think since adobe does make it's own fonts they would know the proper

way to implement all of the different font features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might also post this question in the Type & Typography forum

If anyone at adobe would know the anwer it would be Dov Issacs

https://community.adobe.com/t5/type-typography/bd-p/type-and-typography?page=1&sort=latest_replies&f...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further update:

I discovered the tails work automatically in "Middle Eastern & South Asian Layout" (and not in my default "Latin & East Asian Layout"). Switching to that is an 'OK' workaround for me, but inconvenient when changing between fonts, since it requires spacing adjustments. Hoping either the font developer or somebody here might know the cause of this issue with this new info?

font.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This sounds like a definite issue with the font developer not supporting non-latin layouts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines