• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Program error while opening or creating new document after Photoshop 22.1 update [2020]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since yesterday's update, can´t even open a jpg file. Always says: Could not complete your request because of a program error. I need to work.

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-52603}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Hi all,

05/20 update: We have resolved another program error issue while dragging assets from libraries to the artboard in Photoshop 22.4.1 update. Could you please update Photoshop to the 22.4.1 version via the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app and let us know your feedback.

Here's how you update Photoshop to its latest version: Update Creative Cloud apps

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 1058 Replies 1058
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That resolved my issue since Photoshop upgraded to the 2021 version. I couldn't do almost anything in any file or even open preferences without seeing the error message:

“Could not complete your request because of a program error”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scratch that... it didn't resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone suggesting using this link to uninstall and go back to the old version. It worked for me. I couldn't even get it to uninstall before but the uninstall software helped. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-install-stuck.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh thank you, I've updated my nvidia driver and now not only photoshop doesn't work, but google maps too)).

I believe that pirate versions work better then the paid one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem, I'm stuck and I have urgent deliveries to respect!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I completely understand where you're coming from. Please know we are looking at this issue closely. Unfortunately, there are a few different root causes and we are still identifying them individually. 

We are working on a patch but the above steps should help to get you working again in the meantime. 

Thanks, Sympa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to help Sympa, give them access to versions over than v20 and v21 (I've had this issue with both, rolling back didn't help). CS6 was available until very recently, and that would be triage.

You're leaving your customers out in the cold to freeze.

I'm looking at Corel Paint and TV Paint very seriously now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry for the program error issue. Could you please turn off the Graphics Processor from the Photoshop preferences and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that helps, but... what's the point of having a graphic processor?! At least I can work. Thanks dude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

If turning off the graphics processor helped, then please try updating the graphics drivers from the manufacturer's website and then re-check "Use Graphics Processor" under Photoshop's preferences, relaunch Photoshop and let us know if you're able to create or open a document.

Also, please go to Photoshop's Help > System Info dialog, then copy the whole text and paste it on to a text document. Then share that document with us, so we can pass it on to our engineering team for further investigation.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the CameraRaw 13.0 update Photoshop 2021 22.0.0 x64 became unstable on my pc to the point that it crashes and gives me a Photoshop error message
The program has become unusable, please await your actions to re-establish operation

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop. Would you mind telling us which operating system are you working on? What is the error that you are getting?

Please try uninstalling Photoshop to check if that helps. You can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on Windows 10 Desktop OS 64 bit with a processor based on x64.

My processor is a AMD FX - 4100 QuadCore 3.60 GHz RAM 8 Gb

I tried to uninstall the app and re install it twice but the error message is still shown as soon as a file is opened. After the error message Photoshop freezes and it is not even possible to exit the program. The previous version worked fine, everything happens with this automatic update; I also tried to deactivate the graphics processor from preferences but the error message persists

Thanks in advance for suggestions

Regards

Riccardo 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on Windows 10 Desktop OS 64 bit with a processor based on x64.

My processor is a AMD FX - 4100 QuadCore 3.60 GHz RAM 8 Gb

I tried to uninstall the app and re install it twice but the error message is still shown as soon as a file is opened. After the error message Photoshop freezes and it is not even possible to exit the program. The previous version worked fine, everything happens with this automatic update; I also tried to deactivate the graphics processor from preferences but the error message persists

Thanks in advance for suggestions

Regards

Riccardo 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit PL latest updates. englisch language skin

PS not working at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 22 of Photoshop hasn't been launched yet. In past years Adobe have launched at Max which starts Tuesday this week.

Where did you get it?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Adobe Creative Cloud, where else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  Creative Cloud showed that 4 updates were available, Photoshop was NOT listed as one of them for me, but when I clicked 'Update All', it started updating Photoshop, along with a couple of other programs that weren't on the original list showing that an update was available.  And I was having the same problem with not being able to open files, create new, or even closing Photoshop itself (had to do that through task manager).

Turning off the graphics processor in Photoshop preferences also worked for me.  I looked to see if updates were available on my graphics processor, but it is up to date.  Guess I'll work with the processor turned off for now.  Strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry for the program error issue. Could you please turn off the Graphics Processor from the Photoshop preferences and let us know if that helps.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, today my Creative Cloud automatically installed the new 2021 version of Photoshop. Photoshop ( windows) opens correctly but every time I open a file of any format a generic error message appears. The message is: The request could not be completed due to a program error. The same type of message appears when I try to close Photoshop. What can I do to fix? Wouldn't it have been better if further debugging of the software had been done before releasing the new version of Photoshop?

Thanks.

Andrea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrea, rest assured that many people tried Photoshop before its release, but not every case/setup can be covered.

Did you try to recreate your preferences? reset Photoshop's preferences by holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Pc) Cmd+Opt+Shift (Mac) as you click on Photoshop's icon to start it up.

See: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

If you do have access to the menu Edit>Preferences (Pc) or Photoshop>Preferences (Mac), it is possible to reset them from the General submenu.

Can you open Photoshop without any file and copy the contents of Help>system info?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am having a similar problem - started today where Photoshop will not open jpeg files.

it was fine yesterday but says error file not found on any of the jpegs.

help......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer, sadly it's not a problem with Photoshop preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I updated all my adobe 2020 creative pro apps today, and have had buckets of problems ever since. Ended up calling apple thinking it was my computer's problem... Finally got InDesign to launch and work, and got Photoshop to open, but Photoshop will not open any jpg images. I get " Could not complete your request because the file was not found." It will open psd images and png images. I tried turning off the graphics processor in preferences, and the same problem is happening. I tried using a previous version of photoshop, and the same problem happened. I can't upgrade to 21 beause my apple imac is too old. I am using os high sierra. I haven't dared try to launch illustrator yet. Please put 2020 apps back to the way they were yesterday!

thanks

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines