• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4 - Missing Save as formats from the menu

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Hi All,

We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling.

To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi all

You may already know that flatted file formats have been relocated from the "Save as" menu option to the "Save as Copy" option in Photoshop. To learn more about this workflow update, please refer to the following quick tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/learn-how-to-save-all-file-formats-from-photoshop-s-save-as-dialog-quick-tip/td-p/12933468?cgen=ZFN4FD71&mv=other

Or see this video tutorial link

Hope it helps,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 830 Replies 830
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe had to change Photoshop because of Apple API changes that is well and good.   However, how they changed it is not well and is not good. They did not have to change Photoshop the way they did. Many  Mac and PC use  do not want the change.  On a PC it is very easy for a user to do what they want overwrite their jpeg. I posted an action that used before  Save As could save a jpeg from a layer document.  The action simply Flatted the document  then has a interactive Save As step that default to Jpeg.  You can select where to save it.  I defaulted it to C:\Temp.  You can set the file name the default is the current document name.  You can also change the file type from Jpeg.  However, the document has been flattened so if you change to  file type there will only be one layer with no transparency.  After the Save As the action recovers the document layers.   This works on windows for saving Jpeg from layer documents.  The Action may not work  on a new Mac because of Apple system change .  Apple may create a new copy version.  F2 is for saving Jpeg use Save As UI to save your layered file.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I TOTALLY AGREE! 

I work as an illustrator and always "saved as" jpg when saving the new version, it was so streamlined I didn't even have to think about it. Pressed Ctrl+S, then tab, enter, tab, tab, j, enter, enter.

Bam, saved.

Now I need to ctrl+alt+s, go to the name file, delete the freaking "copy" from the title, and then select the format and then enter. It's costing me a few seconds for each freaking image that in time add to hours as I work with a lot of images. I just wish there were a way to just keep the jpeg in the save as, or not change the name.

Otherwise I'd have "image copy copy copy copy copy copy copy " named files and really I don't see the point in that 🙄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anda Ansheen Are you opening a jpeg making changes and resaving the jpeg with the same name? Aside from the point that your image will deteriorate with every repeated jpeg save, a quicker way for you to do that would be change image , flatten, Ctrl+S

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I open the psd that I'm working on, and "save as" jpeg.

Since I work in multiple sessions/days at the same psd, I always save the associated jpg to have a quick preview of the completion status in my folder, as you can see in the attached image.

I never needed to save a "copy", just to quickly save the updated jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its UTTERLY PATHETIC , I am so sick and tired of this amateur software and Adobe's terrible treatment of professional customers. I only discovered this rubbish this morning. Noite to self, when anyone here on these forums says the latest version is better DONT install it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who said this update is better? 

If you are a professional Photoshop user why not use Scripts to save the copies (jpg, tif, …) off of layered images? 

That way one can save oneself having to navigate the drodown menu, selecting target Folders (if they are at specific positions relative to the active image), etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update diffently is not better Photoshop.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MKSA, did you actually read the replies you got in your other thread? Because it seems you didn't.

Apple removed the API that allowed stripping "-copy" from the file name. With the new API, it cannot be done. It forces Photoshop to write out the full name before entering the Save dialog. And that name has to contain "-copy" because it is a copy. If it wasn't a copy, your original file would be lost.

This is a security policy from Apple. That's their right, and there may be good reasons for it. It could well be that Microsoft will eventually adopt the same policy for Windows. That's probably what the engineers figured, so they changed it on Windows too. Quite aside from all the other practical problems we'd all get if the platforms didn't work the same way (actions, plugins, tutorials etc).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@na59973511 wrote:

Let's not sugar coat it - Apple's software was faulty and they were too lazy to fix it, so it became Adobe's problem and instead of fixing it Adobe's solution was to remove it for all its users, destroying millions of users workflow and muscle memory developed over the past decade in the process.

Meanwhile you, and several "Experts" on this forum are trying to justify the change so windows users "just accept it"

Do you actually read your own responses?

So as you felt compelled to use the inverted commas, let me ask: Are you an "Expert"?

Because if your workflow includes selecting the file format from the dropdown list every time you need to save a jpg off of a layered file you may want to rethink it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because if your workflow includes selecting the file format from the dropdown list every time you need to save a jpg off of a layered file you may want to rethink it. 

Now our workflow includes removing word "copy" from the file name while saving a copy. The guy has a point and it's kinda stupid decision tomove the option to different place, because there was already an option (checkbox) "save as copy" in "save as" box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one is sugar coating or justify anything; just providing the facts. You don't like it; downgrade or learn to use and accept the facts. And the new product behavior. It is not going to change!

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@na59973511 wrote:

The "New" product behavior... At least call it what it is, the "Un-engineered product behavior" 

Absolutely not so.

No further good can be achieved in this thread. The current product behavior is what it is and by design. It's not going to change. 

Enough said, original question has been answered.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct answer can be found here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/save-as-copy/td-p/12045126

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoever answered my last post and locked it, that was not the correct answer. Save a Copy is not working either. I click on it and no box pops up. I'm not just complaining that I can no longer use Save As. I am unable to use any option to save to my computer. I click on Save a Copy, and nothing happens. No box pops up or anything. Literally NOTHING happens. I need this fixed. Please do not direct me to a link that talks about why there is now Save a Copy instead of Save As. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

This action only affects the items found in the preferences dialog box. Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Preferences file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Brushes (and lots of other setting) are not affected by the above instructions for deleting preferences. You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the newest version of Photoshop, I am not able to Save As or Save As Copy. I click on both of them, and nothing happens. No box pops up or anything. Very frustrating to do work that you can't actually save. I keep hoping with the updates this issue will be fixed, but it has not been.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The correct answer is seen here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/save-as-copy/td-p/12045126

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Torsten.H 

You can still save a jpeg from a PSD. When Apple made changes to the API and broke the Save As in Photoshop, the developers were left to find a fix that was cross-platform. Choose File > Save a Copy (not Save As) to be able to save a JPEG.

See details here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html#save-a-copy 

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made update to v 22.4.1 and when I want to save te file from PSD or TIFF to JPEG, just appears the option JPEG 2000; the JPEG option has dissapeard. I just have 6 options to save a file: PSD, TIFF, PSB, IFF format, JPEG 2000 and PNG; all other options don't appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So before, when you select "Save As", you get your normal options like, saving the file as a jpeg, png, psd, gif, etc. The normal long list of file options.
Ever since the update I'm met with this. the heck.png

If I want to save it as a different file type, I have to select "Save a Copy".
Did I miss something? Or have different options set up? Or is this a new thing adobe is doing? (Idk why but its dumb if this is the case)
Forgive if any of the tags are inaccurate, not sure where the "saving issue" is categorized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this is the latest version of CC. 22.4.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use the new "Save as Copy" menu. Apparently, due to changes in Apple's macOS API it was not possible for maintaining the old Save as behavior.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is extremely annoying lol. I'm on a Windows computer.
Frustrating, but I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Unfortunately" Adobe wants to give users on all platforms the same experience as long as that is possible.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines