• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Select and Mask preview not working in Photoshop 22.4.1 on macoS (FIXED)

New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me with a Select and Maks window issue. When I open it, and try to edit my mask with the tools, nothing happens in my preview screen. Changes are only visible in the top right thumbnail, which is too small to be useful to guide me with my edits.

I already tried to uninstall and reinstall Photoshop, but nothing happened. I'm working with Photoshop 2021 (22.4.1).

I also tried to uncheck "UseOpenCL" in the Performance panel.

Here is a screenshot of the window where you can see the difference between the top right thumbnail and the bigger image.

Thank you
SelectAndMaskIssue.png

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Hello, I suggest to update to 22.4.2 as it is supposed to fix the issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Select and Mask in Photoshop 22.4.1. Would you mind telling us which macOS version are you working on?

This is a known issue with Photoshop 22.4 & 22.4.1 & our product team is working on a fix. For some users resetting the preferences has helped.

You can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

You can also try disabling the option to Use Graphics Processor from Photoshop by going to Preferences, then Performance. Once done, quit & relaunch Photoshop to check if that helps.

You can add your vote to the issue here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-v224-select-and-mask-workspace-prev...

You can also follow the thread for updates related to the developments regarding this.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the exact same issue! It's so frustrating that the properties panel thumbnail shows the changes but the main image does not. I thought that I must be doing something wrong, but your post reassures me that this is software not user related. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem, nothing fixes it, I see this problem shared in Reddit as well and no one has a solution that works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working for me either. On Mac Big Sur 11.4. Turning off the 'use graphics processor' did not fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Removing preferences or disabling the option to Use Graphics Processor does NOT help.

I'm running MacOS Big Sur 11.4 and Photoshop version 22.4.1

Any new thoughts on how to fix this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop due to the Select & mask issue. If resetting the Preferences didn't help, you can roll back to the previous version of Photoshop using the steps suggested here: https://adobe.ly/2wH0JjE

Please uninstall the latest version of Photoshop first & select the option to Keep Preferences prior to installing the previous version.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not having a problem on either of my Macs but I am having lots of screen redraw issues. What if you hold down the spacebar to get the hand tool and just "wiggle" the screen? That's what I've been doing when my transform box doesn't show up and my screen is blank when I open a new document and all of the other new infuriating  stuff that is happening with this release. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.

The solutions you are suggesting are not working. I think an update is required to fix the problem.

The solutions that include disabling super useful features, deleting information that is useful for assiduous use of the program or downloading previous versions seem very bad to me.

I think it is a very serious error for them to have escaped in a new version as it is a practically indispensable function.

Totally dissatisfied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I suggest to update to 22.4.2 as it is supposed to fix the issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello PECourtejoie,

The update fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Thanks 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the update 22.4.2 actually broke it for me.  Now when the select and mask button is pushed the panel flashes on briefly and then disappears.  None of the workarounds have helped.  (imac retina 27inch late 2015 Mojave)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marilyn, I suggest to start a thread  on the https://feedback.photoshop.com site, watched by Adobe staff. Make sure to provide as many relevant details as possible. and use 22.4.2 in the title.

Could you please also list the workarounds you tried, as it is difficult to know which ones you did try. 
(disable GPU acceleration? disable native canvas?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines