• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Painting, Erasing and Smudging Causes Slowdown

Contributor ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if it's because of the file size (although it's only 75MB), but I've noticed frequent slowdown whilst trying to paint, erase or use the Smudge tool, which is making work quite annoying. I'll use one of them, and then it's almost like the program freezes and stops responding. The cursor remains as a brush and I can't click on anything for a number of seconds, as though it's trying to figure itself out. Then it catches up with itself and shows me what I've done. It's been happening on my PC, which is fast, and my laptop. It didn't used to do it either. Sadly I'm using an old version of Photoshop as it's my university's version that we're using via a VPN, so I'm using 2019.

I've tried resetting everything to default via the preferences, I've set the Scratch Disk to my E drive, which has plenty of space, and I've even purged everything. I do usually have my History States set to 1000 though, but again, it's never been a problem before, and purging my history doesn't appear to make any difference. I've even set my Cache Levels to 8 and the Cache Tile Size was on 1024 - 1028K.

Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I do usually have my History States set to 1000«

Why? 

»I'm using an old version of Photoshop as it's my university's version that we're using via a VPN, so I'm using 2019«

What does this mean exactly? 

Do the Brushes employ Smoothing? If so does turning it completely off make a difference? 

Have you perused this page? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why?"

Sooo I can do more undos...?

"What does this mean exactly?"

It means I can use the software - the same software - that the university has. We connect/log in to their server and use the version they have or provide. I've done the same with ZBrush as well.

"Do the Brushes employ Smoothing? If so does turning it completely off make a difference?"

I haven't tried that yet. The lowest it was set to was 10% anyway.

"Have you perused this page?"

I did the last time you linked me it. 😉 Many of those are either inapplicable or I've already tried them.

EDIT: Tried setting the smoothing to 0; hasn't worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, it is still not clear if the software is installed on the server of the university, or if you are authentifying that way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite sure how it works, but I'm guessing it's authentifying...?

There is another method for getting it I've just tried - we can log into Adobe Creative Cloud using our email addresses. It's just updated Photoshop to 20.0.9 and it still has the same issue. I've even turned my History to 50 and it still does it. I notice the paint strokes get slower eventually until paint no longer gets added when it pauses.

I'm going to try and do a complete uninstall of Adobe Creative Cloud and Photoshop and then reinstall and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, so far, doing a completely fresh install of Creative Cloud and Photoshop has cured it. Hopefully. I'll report back if it starts again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines