Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Parenting a smart object layer

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

How can i make a "master" smart object layer that if i change the image it will affect other layers too?

I attached a screenshot of what im trying to achive, in this mockup if i were to adjust the red card for example, ALL the red cards change, by only adjusting ONE smart object layer which is like the "parent" to the others, instead of doing each layer individually 

Im trying to recreate this in another file but i dont know how. 

Thank you in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All instances of a Smart Object will update simultaneouly, so I am not sure what you mean. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2020-10-14 at 17.44.41.pngScreenshot 2020-10-14 at 17.43.53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you duplicate a smart object layer via Ctrl+J  The layers share a single object so if you  make 9 copies then you have 10 layers that share a single object.  You can change each layers object transform via Ctrl+T and have each layer scale, positions and distorts the object for its use of the object. Replace the content  of any  of the layer changes the content of all 10 layers.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can control whether updating one Smart Object updates other instances of it, but it means planning ahead to set it up right.

To set up Smart Objects so that editing any one edits all other instances of it in a document, do either one of the following:

• Create a Smart Object, then duplicate it using Layer > Duplicate Layer. 
  • Create a Smart Object, then duplicate it using Layer > New > Via Copy (what is often taught as Command-J/Ctrl-J). 

To set up Smart Objects so that editing one doesn't edit all the others (each is independent), do one of the following:

• Create a Smart Object, then duplicate it using Layer > Smart Objects > New Smart Object via Copy. 
  • Create a Smart Object, then create the other Smart Objects, each one from scratch.

Did you create the document in your screen shot using the last method listed? If so, that’s why the Smart Objects are not connected to each other. Unfortunately there is no way to create that “parent” relationship after a Smart Object is created, you have to do it by duplicating correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

»Unfortunately there is no way to create that “parent” relationship after a Smart Object is created, you have to do it by duplicating correctly.«

One could

• »Convert to Linked« one,

• then »Relink to File« all the others (to the external file),

• then »Embed Linked«. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines