Paste image into existing layer?

Dec 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with CS5 animation and need to paste an image into an existing Layer NOT into a new layer.

I've googled my question and all the answers have been "merge the layers" ... sadly if I do that it will screw up all my animation sequence/durations as it gets reset as a "new layer".

I've tried selecting all on the existing layer and using "Paste Into" but that creates a new layer also?

Like I've eluded to earlier, the reason why I want to keep the existing layer is because I've got a long sequence of layer animation ... if I do a new layer I'd have to adjust all the visibility durations for every layer which is going to be VERY time consuming.

I was thinkg that pasting into an existing layer would be a simple task, so I hope I'm just missing something very obvious/basic?

Thanks, Rob.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Bojan_Živković | Adobe Community Professional

Just thought, did you tried to convert layer to Smart Object then to edit its content and paste desired content?

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that if you delete everything in the layer (which you can tell if the move tool has nothing framed which can happen with pixels outside the frame) you can then paste into the layer directly without creating a new layer.

This came up for me when trying to replace a layer with Unity3D for sprite animation and the layer loses it's bone and skin data if it isn't 'exactly' the same layer as I assume is a similar issue with others searching for a solution to this problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more