• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paste image into existing layer?

Engaged ,
Dec 04, 2011 Dec 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with CS5 animation and need to paste an image into an existing Layer NOT into a new layer.

I've googled my question and all the answers have been "merge the layers" ... sadly if I do that it will screw up all my animation sequence/durations as it gets reset as a "new layer".

I've tried selecting all on the existing layer and using "Paste Into" but that creates a new layer also?

Like I've eluded to earlier, the reason why I want to keep the existing layer is because I've got a long sequence of layer animation ... if I do a new layer I'd have to adjust all the visibility durations for every layer which is going to be VERY time consuming.

I was thinkg that pasting into an existing layer would be a simple task, so I hope I'm just missing something very obvious/basic?

Thanks, Rob.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Just thought, did you tried to convert layer to Smart Object then to edit its content and paste desired content?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sir are a GOD!!!

I couldn't believe this couldn't be done, as it would totally screw up my animation if a new layer was created (via the standard merge). Your solution saved my a**. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much i was scared when beginning to read this thread from 2011 but you saved the day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that if you delete everything in the layer (which you can tell if the move tool has nothing framed which can happen with pixels outside the frame) you can then paste into the layer directly without creating a new layer.

This came up for me when trying to replace a layer with Unity3D for sprite animation and the layer loses it's bone and skin data if it isn't 'exactly' the same layer as I assume is a similar issue with others searching for a solution to this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDITING AN OBJECT OUT OF AN IMAGE USING EXTRA LAYER

I used this process to Edit out Tripod from 360 image (Usually this process is used to avoid lagging when editing a big image)

1. Create Layer ( The order Sequence should be top to bottom. "Layer should be created on top of background.")

2. Use "Rectangular Marquee Tool" to select object (background image should be selected).

Then select "Edit" from top left menu bar.

Then Select "Copy" from the drop down menu (the Rectangular Marquee Tool should be present/visible around the object you want to erase or edit at this point.)

3. Then Select the Layer you Created in the beginning ( as in Click on the blank Layer)

Then Copy the Image to the blank Layer by Selecting "Edit" from the top left menu bar.

Then Select "Paste" from the drop down menu. (The image should appear in the blank layer.)

4. Now Begin editing the object in the Layer You Pasted it in with the "Spot Healing Bursh" or "Healing Brush" (You can hold down the "Spot Healing Brush" for more brush option or to change between the two.) Or you can use a tool of your choice more specific to your objective.

5. From the Layers Box where you created the Layer (usually located on the bottom right hand of the screen) there is a "menu Icon" that looks like a stack of lines in the top right hand corner of the Layers Box. Select the "menu Icon" and find the option "Merge Down"

Your All Done.

You can use this process to edit different areas of a huge image without experiencing lagging. If you are editing a spherical image make sure to select the "Move tool +" to naviage around the image properly or you may think the image turned into a still image if you are unfamiliar or new to photoshop.

I Just wanted to share this in case it helps someone. Cause this was the Question I was hoping someone could answere when I found this board.

Best Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the video layer, go to layer > video layers > restore layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this!! Making PSB 2D characters in Unity and this is greatly needed for updating character rig models

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the part you want to copy  hit ctrl +J. A new layer appears. Drag this layer above the layer you want to paste into. Merge down

Voila!

The extra layer has vanished and the animation layer numbering remains in tact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines