• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paste image into existing layer?

Engaged ,
Dec 04, 2011 Dec 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with CS5 animation and need to paste an image into an existing Layer NOT into a new layer.

I've googled my question and all the answers have been "merge the layers" ... sadly if I do that it will screw up all my animation sequence/durations as it gets reset as a "new layer".

I've tried selecting all on the existing layer and using "Paste Into" but that creates a new layer also?

Like I've eluded to earlier, the reason why I want to keep the existing layer is because I've got a long sequence of layer animation ... if I do a new layer I'd have to adjust all the visibility durations for every layer which is going to be VERY time consuming.

I was thinkg that pasting into an existing layer would be a simple task, so I hope I'm just missing something very obvious/basic?

Thanks, Rob.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Just thought, did you tried to convert layer to Smart Object then to edit its content and paste desired content?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you're pasting, as you have discovered, you are pasting a new layer.  Period.

Try using the Place command instead, though I can't guarantee if that will solve your problem.  I don't have CS5, nor do I work on animations.  Sorry. 

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Paste In Place, Paste Inside, Paste Outside all create a new layer also ... I'm kinda surprised something this simple isn't part of CS5 Extended.

Went thru all my books and there is nothing that suggest I can paste to an existing layer.  So in other words it has to be a new layer and hence I'll have to re-time the entire animation sequence ... what a pain this is going to be.  I guess Animation is an "afterthought" for Adobe crew.

Thanks for the response, sadly the answer appears to be NO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you can merge the layers into one layerso I really do not see the problem?

It actually has an advatange this way as you have more control as to where you want to position the pasted art.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wade,

The problem is a "Merged layer" is actually a new layer (two existing layers merged into one new layer) so the carefully constructed animation timeline needs to be modified.  In order to retain the animation timeline (visibility durations) without change, the layer can NOT change ... hence the need to Paste an image into an existing layer.

Also, it doesn't matter if the existing layer is blank, whenever I paste it creates a new layer.

I've tried to trick the animation timeline by renaming the layers but CS5 does not use the layer name, it appears to use some internal pointer that is unique to a layer.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure? How about merging down?

Watch the video…BTW notice you have to have the layer selected in the layers panel

http://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/MergeDown.mov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... I'm using CC 2017 these days, is there a solution to this problem? 

I mean this is quite ridiculous, it can at times be very necessary to add additional content to a layer.  Only being able to 'merge down' eliminates the ability to alter Layer Styles + Layer Mask (this defeats the whole point of having a mask lol).

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Krizbon  wrote

So... I'm using CC 2017 these days, is there a solution to this problem? 

Yes - Smart objects. As Bojan says convert to Smart Object - open the SO and add all the new layers within the Smart object that you want. Finally close and save the smart object which will appear as a single layer in your document.

Out of interest, any reason you are still using CC2017 instead of CC2018?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it's a real problem when you use PS to ANimate! because you'd like to use something from another layer then it makes a new layer which ads a cell and it's next to your frame....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, there's an extencion tool called Animators toolbar pro, It allows you to do it, But it costs 20$.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I had the same problem when working with a group animation layer. It
solves that issue.
You can select part of the image using the lasso tool cut it with
the Scissors Icon (split) and than paste it to the next keyfram using a
command that looks like a marker called Past special. Those tools are from
the animators tool bar. and it allows you to copy and past to a current
layer with out massing your Grouped animation keyframes.
BTW I would highly recommend you to try animate in krita. It easy to learn
and similar to Photoshop.
I'm doing Illustration in Photoshop cause I use to it and Its probably the
best tool out there. But animation I'm doing in krita. Just make sure to
edit the performance so it will work smooth.

I will link to 2 recommended tutorials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48pwrr4gPOA&t=523s

on this one look to the krita performance tips lat lesson number 8

https://www.skillshare.com/classes/Digital-Painting-With-Krita-Basic-Level/899533705/reviews?reviews...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit>Special Paste>Pastte In Place

Or make a selection and paste Into or place outside of

Make certain you have the layer selected in the layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to position the pasted content then do an ordinary paste move it using the move tool till it is where you want it position relative to the other content on that layer and then place that layer abov you wnt it to be in and merge down.

I am wrong about this the only way to do what you want is to merge the layers.

The above only works if there is no content on that layer. Ooops!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thought, did you tried to convert layer to Smart Object then to edit its content and paste desired content?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a star!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option is to use the stamp: paste the object in a separate layer and use the stamp to copy it to the desired layer. Turn off all other layers and select "Sample: All Layers" in the Stamp options. Not the most sophisticated way but it might work for you (the right way being Smart Objects I guess, but I don't know what happens with the Layer Mask when you Convert or Rasterize a Smart Object).

Alfonso

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

super late response, but this came up when I was googling for a solution in photoshop 2020, so I'll add what I did in case it helps someone....

I have a similar situation where I have a frame animation, and I don't want to make a new layer and mess up my animation frames, so I hit paste, and then immediately right click on the pasted layer and hit "Merge Down", and it appears to do what I want - it merges the content of the new layer into the existing layer, without messing up my animation. hope that helps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the answer!!! Works exactly as you want.  All the other answers are too complicated and time consuming.  Thank you for figuring this out and sharing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for resonding to a post years later, because you just solved my 2020 problem. Well one of them anyway. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much for this 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes!! this works!!!!!!!!  thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even faster - cliclick on the layer you want to "paste to" and hit Cmd+V, then Cmd+E (merge down shortcut).  This will let you crunch through frames just a little faster than right clicking, but that can save a lot of time with many frames!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines