• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fix black background issue with PNG files in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2013 Mar 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing an issue with all transparent png files copied from Chrome and pasted into Photoshop CS6. The background is black rather than transparent. These images are one I created and exported using "save for web". It worked fine in CS5 so it must be a bug.

Does anyone know of a fix or workaround? I constantly have to edit images taken from our website so being able to copy an image quickly with transparency intact is very important. I'm running CS6 in Windows.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Here is a possible work around.

Rather than copy the image in Chrome Right click on the image and select "Copy image address". Then in Photoshop use Place Embedded and Paste the URL where it asks for filename. This will download the image straight into a Smart Layer where you can Edit Content or Rasterize Layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround could be to drag the PNG image from Chrome to the desktop, which should create a PNG file, then drag that file into Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that is the easiest way as far as I can see. But it sure would be nice if it just worked correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has already been explored on Google's support site (because other people have come across it) and the problem does indeed lie with PS. Not to mention the fact that I started having this issue the second I upgraded to CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac, both Ps CS5 and Ps CS6 fail to honour the transparency of an image on the clipboard that was copied from an application other than Photoshop: the pasted pixels will be composited with white. Other image editors (which cost a tiny fraction of the price of Photoshop) do honour the transparency: when you paste into them, the correctly transparent pixels are pasted instead of the fully opaque rubbish that Ps produces. Even Adobe's own Illustrator gets it right. I imagine that the only modern application which fails to do this correctly is Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I think that is due to it being an indexed png (from the research I have done).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem I'm seeing in CS5 and CS6 on OS X is not limited to the source image being a PNG, indexed or otherwise. It's simply that transparent pixels in the clipboard, which have been copied from any source except Photoshop, are pasted into Photoshop as an opaque composite with white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I was facing a similar problem. The black background was appearing in Adobe Illustrator. Thanks to your comment, in PS, I changed from indexed image to RGB and the image now appears correctly in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing you can do if you want to avoid having to save the file is just copy the image link, then go into Photoshop and from the file menu -- File > Open (or Ctrl + O) and paste the url directly into the filename field, click "Open". I know that this works on Windows 7 and 10, not so sure on OSX

With this method, you're still downloading the image, but it's going into your temporary images so you can avoid cluttering your desktop or downloads folder.

Hope this helps someone.

FYI: I know this is an old thread, but it places in top search results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great tip jgladwill​, cheers for that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, every year or so I check to see if Adobe has fixed this bug - and every year or so I'm disappointed. This is just another example of programmers who don't really use their own software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not Adobe's fault.

This is Windows clipboard's fault.

When you right-click --> Copy a PNG, Windows discards the transparency information when it stores it in the clipboard.

After that, if you paste the contents ANYWHERE, it will have a black background.

Best way to try it is to paste into Windows Paint, you'll see the same behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, just tried Paint and it does exactly that. But pasted again into MS Word and the transparency was fine, so the info is in there. Then immediately pasted into PhotoShop and, as usual, black square. Maybe someone should introduce the Microsoft devs to the Adobe devs and also to the other Microsoft devs. I don't think they have all met.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Itz working in Paint.NET...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is incorrect. Copying PNGs from Chrome and pasting into Word preserves the PNGs transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brazzell_MA, looks like you might have misread jamesm's comment. It says transparency was fine in Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be a year old but I'm annoyed that you're trying to protect adobe on this, just because it doesn't work on Paint and everywhere else that doesn't mean that it isnt adobe's fault. Paint comes with windows, Photoshop is something you have to buy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to know how this was marked as the correct answer. There are several programs that do retain the pasted image's transparency. Which means Windows isn't discarding transparency. All that Ibrew proved here is that Photoshop is as bad as MS Paint 😂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a possible work around.

Rather than copy the image in Chrome Right click on the image and select "Copy image address". Then in Photoshop use Place Embedded and Paste the URL where it asks for filename. This will download the image straight into a Smart Layer where you can Edit Content or Rasterize Layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirming that this works! Where has this answer been for the past 6 years!!!! This should be listed as the 'correct answer' to this question!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% Agree! This is the way to do it (until someone fixes the obvious glitch) Also works into Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS ABSOLUTELY WORKS!!! I tried all the other suggestions, but no luck. This one did the trick. It's crazy that they can't fix this so that a work around isn't necessary. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your a flipping life saver. Ive been saving junk on my desktop for years

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I found to work was saving the original PNG file to the computer, then opening  that image onto photoshop. In my experience the image that was saved still has it’s transparent background when opened in photoshop in this way. Then if you are pasting the image onto a white background, add a white background layer below the png image. After this I believe you can save it (either png, pdf, jpeg) then you should be good to go from there. Hopefully this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just now found an easy way - saved picture as PNG in to computer - and then opened in PS - I got the image with transparent background ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines