Highlighted

PDF files bloat when I edit them on PS

Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often need to edit PDF documents which are actually scanned books and magazines and I need to edit certain pages in PS. I know that the correct way to do it is the following:

Open the PDF file in Acrobat > Print Production > Edit Object > Select the page you want to edit > Right click on the page and "Edit Image" 

Then, I edit the page in PS and when I'm done I close the window in PS while selecting "Save Changes".

Everything works fine and there no problems besides that for some reason the size of the PDF files the pages of which I edit get really bloated in size. For example, I had a PDF file of 68 pages that was 220 MB and after editing all of its pages it became about 850 MB. Mind you that the only editing I do is slightly rotating the pages that were scanned crooked; no filters, no heavy image editing, no color adjusting etc.

For some reason PS saves the edited pages (images) in such a way that become bloated in size and as a result the size of the original PDF file is affected as well.

Has anybody else noticed this problem?

Topics

How to, Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

PDF files bloat when I edit them on PS

Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often need to edit PDF documents which are actually scanned books and magazines and I need to edit certain pages in PS. I know that the correct way to do it is the following:

Open the PDF file in Acrobat > Print Production > Edit Object > Select the page you want to edit > Right click on the page and "Edit Image" 

Then, I edit the page in PS and when I'm done I close the window in PS while selecting "Save Changes".

Everything works fine and there no problems besides that for some reason the size of the PDF files the pages of which I edit get really bloated in size. For example, I had a PDF file of 68 pages that was 220 MB and after editing all of its pages it became about 850 MB. Mind you that the only editing I do is slightly rotating the pages that were scanned crooked; no filters, no heavy image editing, no color adjusting etc.

For some reason PS saves the edited pages (images) in such a way that become bloated in size and as a result the size of the original PDF file is affected as well.

Has anybody else noticed this problem?

Topics

How to, Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resaving it while keeping Photoshop editing capability unchecked.

This should reduce the size dramatically.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply elcyrizk.

This should work, but I actually don't get a window with the option "Photoshop editing capability" when I close the file on PS after having editted it...

Here you could see the exact procedure I follow: https://youtu.be/V3VVAoUDl7Q

This Acrobat tutorial shows how to edit images and graphics using the Edit Object tool and the Image Editor feature. Watch more at http://www.lynda.com/Adobe...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I see... I thought you were dragging and opening the whole PDF file in Photshop and not through Adobe Acrobat.

Well one thing I could think of was to follow the below steps in your process:

1- In Acrobat, after you click Edit picture and it opens Photshop, check the image size of that photo in Photoshop and keep it in your head.

2- Once you replace the old image with a new one in Photshop, make sure your new image has the same dimensions as the previous one (in pixels) and all layers in it are flattened

3- Then save the image and close Photshop.

4- Save the PDF in Acrobat and then now check the size of the PDF.

Let me know if the above works.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images in a PDF can often be saved with jpeg compression. This dramatically reduces file size, at a price - but the edited image may not allow jpeg compression at all because it doesn't meet the jpeg specification. For instance if it has a floating layer instead of a flattened one, or any number of other reasons. Jpeg is an extremely limited specification.

Jpeg compression may reduce an image to 2-5 % of original size on disk. The price is that the compression is destructive and non-reversible.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Tommy_J_ LATEST
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply elcyrick.

The only editing I actually do in PS is straightening the crooked pages of scanned books, so when a page is opened in PS through Acrobat, editted and then returned to Acrobat, it has by default exactly the same dimensions as before.

Before I return the image to Acrobat, I make sure that all layers in it are flattened but the size of the PDF still gets bloated with each editted page.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines