• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen pressure not working in the new Photoshop 2020 (21.0.2)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing the new Photoshop 2020 on my Wacom Companion 2, turns out the pen pressure is NOT WORKING at all. However the previous versions (20.0.6 and 19.1.6) still work perfectly with the pen pressure. 

Has anyone run into that issue ?

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

I have the same proplem ... version 20.0.8 worked just fine.

Win 10

Found solution:

create a file in "C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings"
called
PSUserConfig.txt

with this text

# Use WinTab
UseSystemStylus 0

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Update : With 21.2.2 you may need to remove the PSUserConfig.txt file

The latest versions are designed to work with Windows Ink and Adobe have made improvements in that area, many of the old bugs have been addressed. I've used Windows Ink here for the last year.

Remove the PSUserConfig.txt file and in Wacom tablet properties check Windows Ink.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 199 Replies 199
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uninstall which version, driver tablet or photoshop, please be specific, thank you. 

Robert A F van de Voort

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my dear god, I dreaded the day when the WinTab hack would no longer be supported. Now it happened and without warning. Let me be very clear on this: WINDOWS INK IS NOT AN OPTION!

Good luck trying to make it an option! The issues are so manifold you'll be fighting a 100-headed hydra there.

So, here I'm sitting on my old 20.0.6 version, dreading the day when it won't be supported any longer.

Yes, the ongoing theme connecting every single Photoshop update over the past few years is DREAD. And I'm paying for it, which adds insult to injury. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hear you loud and clear and we're on it.  Fix is coming very soon.  Apologies for the WinTab breakage in 21.2.2!  
Here are your current options until we post the update with the fix (very soon!):

1. Uninstall 21.2.2 (Back up your prefs!) and reinstall 21.2.1 (restore your prefs); WinTab works.

2. Stick with 21.2.2 until the update posts.  21.2.2 requires Win Ink checkbox enabled in Wacom settings enabled and removal of PSUserConfig.txt

Other things you need to tweak in the Win OS to get Win Ink to work better:
- go to Control Panels > Pen and touch and disable Press and hold (explained more here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/tablet-support-faq-photoshop.html)
- go to Settings > Devices > Pen & Windows Ink: enable "Let me use my pen as a mouse in some desktop apps"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very glad to hear you're working on it. Thank you.

Just to throw my hat into the ring: I'm afraid I don't have time to read all 6 pages of this thread, so don't know if it's already been mentioned, but I have always set my Intuos Pro 4's mapping option to mouse mode. It seems the Wacom driver only gives you the Windows Ink option in pen mode, so I'd have to re-learn how to paint with it.

Perhaps Windows Ink is also why Photoshop 21.2.2 is very laggy on my Wacom Cintiq Pro (which I do use in mouse mode).

So... some more reasons to stick with WinTab, for the time being. I'll revert back to 21.2.1 or earlier for now, as you've suggested.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, PSUserConfig.txt (WinTab) should be functioning again in the update that was just released (21.2.3).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You @weigajan !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, i have cc2020, im also facing the same problem( pen pressure) but i dnt have any settings photoshop settings like wat ur mention in msg, how can i solve this problem? please let me know as soon as possible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's common that you might need to update your tablet driver when Photoshop is updated. Good place to start.

Warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My brush tool stopped working in Photoshop 2020.  I got this response from Wacom and it worked for me:
Sometimes Photoshop can exhibit odd/erratic/weird behavior. The first step is to make sure that you are running the latest version of Photoshop CC. If you are, we will then suggest resetting the program’s preferences.
- Open Adobe Photoshop CC
Go to the Menu Bar, and click on Adobe Photoshop CC
Select Preferences, then General
Click on the box labeled “Reset Preferences On Quit” then OK on the confirmation dialog.
Close Photoshop, then relaunch the application and test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi 

i have problem with pen pressure in brush settings in my windows 10 pro desktop (laptop) and i dnt have ("C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings") these settings, please help me out from this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, which tablet do you have? do you have a checkbox in its preferences to select wintab or windows ink?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is October 2020 and you (Adobe) have STILL NOT FIXED THIS ISSUE.  This is 100% UNACCEPTABLE.  I just upgraded Photoshop from 2020 to 2021...and lost all Wacom tablet pressure sensitivity, both in 2020 and 2021 even though I was just working with 2020's pen pressure working immediately before allowing the update.

Either get with the program and make PSUserConfig.txt standard at the time of install OR fix the problem.  Period.  We do not pay you to go disabling our Wacom tablets' functionality for a full year with no solution.  We should not have to search the internet for a solution, remember where to find it, and reapply the same solution, over and over and over again, at every single program update in order to get something that was once working, back working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021 is in a new folder. Copy PSUserConfig.txt from 2020 settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand, presently am using 2021 cc, what I do now

--

*Sandeep Bajjuri*

[Link removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either

a. Switch your tablet to use Windows Ink

or

b.Switch your tablet not to use windows ink and

use notepad to create a file called PSUserConfig.txt containing the text line UseSystemStylus 0 and put that file in C:\Users\[yourusername]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can you even suggest option a. when there are countless posts about issues with Windows Ink?
The only option is b.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, they are both options. I use Windows Ink here.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, how have you overcome the lagging sliders, jittery clone tool etc in which case? Would love to try the same... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have those issues. I've not done anything specific outside of turning on Windows Ink and ensuring that press and hold for right clicking is disabled in Windows > Control Panel > Pen and Touch settings.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Dave. You've been repeating, that you don't have any issues with Ink, but you're the only one.

Not only everything lags, but also lots of panels buttons just stops working, unless you constantly switch from pen to mouse and back - click a button with mouse, brush stroke with pen, then again a button with mouse and so on. And that's a huge issue for most.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good for you! You seem to be in something of a minority, sadly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very sorry, but... could anybody give me a cue, where the Windows Ink checkbox actually is in W10? Because W10 settings menu is a... I have not allowable words for it. Please, help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Windows Ink checkbox is located in the Wacom driver settings

image_2020-11-09_095647.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "use Windows Ink" option simply does not work for me - add me to the HUNDREDS of reports of this "option" being, frankly, just a joke.

You'll need to use the PSUserConfig.txt option.  Which is completely unacceptable that we, as users, must apply this kludge to every single PS update, but Adobe is too arrogant and inward-looking to actually fix the problem for all users, rather than simply supply a pandering "solution" that mostly does not work for the vast majority of users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines