• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen pressure not working in the new Photoshop 2020 (21.0.2)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing the new Photoshop 2020 on my Wacom Companion 2, turns out the pen pressure is NOT WORKING at all. However the previous versions (20.0.6 and 19.1.6) still work perfectly with the pen pressure. 

Has anyone run into that issue ?

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

I have the same proplem ... version 20.0.8 worked just fine.

Win 10

Found solution:

create a file in "C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings"
called
PSUserConfig.txt

with this text

# Use WinTab
UseSystemStylus 0

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Update : With 21.2.2 you may need to remove the PSUserConfig.txt file

The latest versions are designed to work with Windows Ink and Adobe have made improvements in that area, many of the old bugs have been addressed. I've used Windows Ink here for the last year.

Remove the PSUserConfig.txt file and in Wacom tablet properties check Windows Ink.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 199 Replies 199
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I just installed photoshop after being away from it for a while, why is it that the only solution to this problem is still making a manual file and there is no option to switch between windows ink, which is laggy as, and wintab? I've got an i7 with 32gb ram and 11gb of video memory, still ink is buggy with your higher powered brushes, but without it, I couldn't get any sensitivity at all.

It seems that this has been ongoing for years. I tried every other way to get it to work, but a simple txt file that could easily be created with a menu check icon, is missing. Can we get some explanation as to why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same proplem ... version 20.0.8 worked just fine.

Win 10

Found solution:

create a file in "C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings"
called
PSUserConfig.txt

with this text

# Use WinTab
UseSystemStylus 0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! 

Thanks weigajan! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

I am having similar issues. Is there a solution for Mac users. I am running on Mojave. 

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am facing same issue on mac catalina. did you find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue on mojave... also the cursor freezes for 2 sesconds,  sometimes while drawing 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this possible on Mac? Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this on Mac: Quit Photoshop. Go into System Preference > Security & Privacy > Accessibility.  If Photoshop is listed and checked, uncheck it. You'll need to unlock to make changes.  Also make sure Wacom drivers listed there ARE checked.  Relaunch Photoshop.  Do you still have the same issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running into this issue on a Mac and tried this fix and it did nothing. What else you got?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a very good solution. It's often repeated on different forums all over the internet, but the fact it the old WinTab driver is pretty bad. It gives higher latency (which sucks on display tablets where it's really noticeable, and Wacom already has pretty high latency), plus you get these "steps" in brush tracking and pressure resulting in pretty ugly lines. You can see this for yourself if you take the hard round brush and set the size to pressure. Then draw some curved sweeping lines with varying pressure. You'll see the curves aren't quite smooth but get sharp edges, and the same thing goes for the transitions in size - which will be most clearly visible at the end of the stroke with an ugly shoe lace appearance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find the folder /Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings/  to save the PSUserConfig.txt file in. Also updated drivers and unchecked (Windows Ink) in the Wacom Tablet Properties. Please help, this has been an issue since i got it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't seem like a good solution at all. I should be fixed on their end and not require us to do things like this 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work for me. I use a Wacom Tablet and updated to recent drivers. 

Version op Photoshop: 

Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.1.2 20200410.r.136 2020/04/10: efaf3fa4e40 x64

I have the config file made in the correct directory but no help. It keeps giving me an error next to the brush setting\Shapedynamics\size controlled by pen pressure. In older version of photoshop (2018) I did managed to get it working. Unfortunately not in this version (I deleted the older versions)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I was trying to work without the pen pressure for a bit because it is late. Suddenly I noticed that the pen pressure is working altough there was an error and the preview of the brush didn't let me see the correct brush outline. So I went over to a new document to try out some things and ... the pen pressure works!!! yay.. Now also on the document I was working on, pen pressure works. So why it didn't work in the first place don't know but tip:

Even if there is an error: try the brush on a new document. It should work

Oh yes: Windows Ink is Off 🙂 Thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you still having this issue? I keep getting an issue with the pen pressure. Driving me crazy. It will work for a few minutes, but when I click out of photoshop, then it will happen again....

Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 5.23.40 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same problem. 

So frustrating!!!

I feel your pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am now having this same issue... is there any fix?! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup! Same issue. It's making working in Photoshop virtually impossible, as I frequently click in and out of Photoshop to my browser for image reference. I've been a lifelong Adobe user but if they don't put out a fix soon this might be the final straw for me to jump over to an iPad Pro and Procreate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens for me. I found a momentary solution whenever it happens, just click your mouse once then undo the Dot that the click creates, pen should work normally. 

Not a long term solution, hope it works for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having the same issue as you all on mac... it creates some spots like that while i paint...

Capture d’écran 2020-04-30 à 11.53.37.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue with Build Up (the icon next to Flow in the options bar).  We are working on a fix for this issue but in the meantime, turning that off will stop putting in those spots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this Pen Pressure issue too. Is there a fix yet? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 Machines. Same issue on both. Both sorted now. Thanks so much, Weigajan!

I swear the reason Adobe fails to resolve so many of their bugs is because they're just waiting for people in the community like you to resolve these issues for them. 

Much appreciated man! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having exactly the same issue on Mac OS 10.15.4 

Particularly triggered by leaving Photoshop and then returning.

Photoshop then doesn't recognise my pen ressure and tilt. 

I have to go into brush settings, which has the warning icon next to Size Jitter Control and reselect from the dropdown.

Only then Photoshop seems to kickin and recognise my Wacom Pen. 

I am using latest driver for Wacom Cintiq Pro 24. This has only happened in 21.1 and later for me.

Please fix Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We (Photoshop team) are looking into the issue where initial pressure loss after leaving, then returning to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines