Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen Pressure not working new update photoshop 2020

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had this issue before in the Photoshop 2019, where photoshop do not recognice the pen pressure. I fix it in the 2019 version, by not enabling the windows ink when I am in photoshop, but apparently this trick do not work in the new version, I did try all I could find online and nothing is working.

I can not use the Update because of that, I am using a Cintiq 22 in Windows 10.

What can be happening?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Have you added the PSUserConfig.txt file to the Adobe Photoshop 2020 settings folder, I had the same issue with Pen pressure but I just copied the file over from my CC 2019 settings folders

# Use WinTab
UseSystemStylus 0

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows 10 my PSUserConfig.txt look like this and Pen pressure works in all versions of Photoshop usinf WinTab APIs includind CC 2020.  The some old reportted bugs are still not fixed in CC 2020 though.  The new Object Selection tool is and improvement over the quick selection tool

# Use WinTab in PS CC for Wacom Tablet not INK
UseSystemStylus 0
# CC 2019 20.0.5 supress warning about running scripts.
WarnRunningScripts 0

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work (the script) with Photoshop 2020. 

As Wacom Support suggests, turning the Windows Ink in the Wacom driver panel helps. In my case pen pressure is working now, but side pen buttons stopped (I use them as a RMB/MMB). There's no ideal sollution at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure the file name is PSUserConfig and no PSUserConfig.txt becouse Win 10 does not recognize it. I spent all day looking for the problem, and that was it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Same here!! Thanks for the tip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, thanks to you I have fixed it.
In addition, you can fix your problem with ink by only enabling ink for PS and leave it out of other applications.

[update] 

I have fixed it without enabling and meddling with windows ink at all.
With a long time solution of creating .txt file
"PSUserConfig.txt"
with below line inside it, without quotes.

"UseSystemStylus 0"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"PSUserConfig.txt"
"UseSystemStylus 0"

Configures Windows Photoshop CC versions to use Wintab API for Pen control that is not use its default INK API.   Your Pend Device driver must be using Wintab API. If that fixes your problem.  That Configuration file would not be required for Perpetual versions of Photoshop.  They only support Pen via Wintab API.  There was no Windows INK feature when those version of Photoshop were developed.

Adobe PSUserConfig.txt enable optional extensions photoshop cc 

Turn off System Stylus

Required Text Compatibility Old Plug-in Name
# Use WinTab
UseSystemStylus 0
  • Windows only
  • CC 2014 (v15.x or later)
N/A

On Windows 8 or later, Photoshop (CC 2014 or later) uses Windows Ink to control the interaction of Photoshop and a stylus device. Using Windows Ink gives you better stroke results and allows you to use your tablet PC or convertible device without having to install a driver.

If the tablet uses a WinTab driver and does not have an option to use Windows Ink, or if you encounter other issues, you can use Turn off System Stylus to force Photoshop to use WinTab.

See Tablet support for Photoshop for more information.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same tried and true config file trick I've used for 5+ years is no longer working on Windows 10 (v 1909) with PS 21.2.1 and I'm really chapped. Workflow is basically at a standstill without pressure sensitivity. Anyone have another solution yet? Windows Ink enabled introduces other issues while using the Intuos in PS which are worse than not having pressure sensitivity.

How is this still a thing we have to deal with? Ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is all your fault.  You should always keep more than one version of Photoshop installed so you can get you work done using some version of Photoshop.  Adobe bakes Photoshop regularly.

What issues are you having with INK they mate have been address or  there may be solutions.

If you want to use Photoshop you need to be able to work around Adobe's issues.

Mac does not have WinTab  or INK.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how serious your reply is... I've never had major issues with a new version past the XX.0 version. but to suggest I'm somehow at fault is laughable. Super helpful comment mate.

I've been a working professional using Wacom products with Adobe software for nearly 20 years and never had this level of difficulty with updates impeding my workflow.

When Ink is enabled I get stroke lag, errant strokes, delay, incorrect clicks, all sorts of problems. Not a viable solution anywhere I've found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My reply is serious.

Have you verified your INK problems still exist with Windows 10 version 2004 and Photoshop 2020 version 21.2.1 when your Brush settings are reasonable not a huge size tip with spacing 1% and zoomed way out where a small brush stroke changes millions of pixels.

Adobe broke Photoshop WinTab support in version 20.1 I believe.  With Photoshop tool, WinTab support   and a Wacom pen I get all sort of wild tool behaviors. Selection to the top left and other bazaar behaviors. I do not have those problems with INK.   With other version of Photoshop I use WinTab support. With perpetual version you have  no choice for they Only have WinTab support they do not have support INK

You wrote When Ink is enabled I get stroke lag, errant strokes, delay, incorrect clicks, all sorts of problems. Not a viable solution anywhere I've found.

With my Windows Touch and pen settings, My Photoshop Brush settings and my Wacom preferences I do not seem to have your Problems on my old dell 2GHZ workstation with a Nvidia Quadro K2200 Display adapter.  I do not expect my machine to perform as well as machines with 3.6 GHz processors

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  disabled Windows Ink, rollback from PS 21.2.2 to PS 21.2.1 (Windows 10 v.1809) and WinTab works perfect with config file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfectly? That is hard for me to believe.  Adobe broke Photoshop WinTab support in the 21.1 .   WinTab could be configured and would work but not perfectly. Tools like the Poly Lasso would have problems. That was what I also saw in newer updates including 21.2.1 what you are using.  In the 21.2.2 update I could not even get pen pressure to work in Photoshop configured to use WinTab interface.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meen "Perfectly" in comparison with Windows Ink. Poly Lasso works good, without glitching to the top left. It is known issue for Intuos Pro PTH-451, 651, 851 - In Wireless mode on Windows 7 the pen will occasionally jump to the top left of your monitor. What you can do about it while we fix it: Connect the tablet via the USB cable if you experience this problem. Driver 6.3.40-2 for Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I  disabled Windows Ink, rollback from PS 21.2.2 to PS 21.2.1 (Windows 10 v.1809) and WinTab works perfect with config file." This was the right answer for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to go back to version 21.0.3 for WinTab support Adobe broke Photoshop WinTab support in the 21.1 update.  WinTab will function is some newer version of Photoshop but not perfectly tool will glitch when used with a pen.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, after the last PS update the PSUserConfig trick does not work, Now I have to work with the Windows Ink and it really slows my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was having a similar problem and, not gonna lie, wasn't expecting this to work but low and behold it did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

F0cking thanks you! how is it possible that adobe have done 3thousand version and there is still problem on wacom /windows compatibility... why not implementing this very simple script inside the setting menu
@adobe... wtf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its Adobe they broke WinTab support in the Photoshop 21.1.0 update.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works for me. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WinTab support has been fixed in the 21.2.3 update there is just a minor issue with the Lasso tool with Pen support .  You can not pan with the space bar press to switch to  the hand tool and pan with your pen.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, thank yo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This worked for me, I've been going crazy trying to figure out what happened to my pen pressure after the update. I had to add the txt file before in the 2018 version and I totally forgot about this solution. Many thanks, maybe I can actually get some work done now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines