Pen Pressure not working new update photoshop 2020

Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had this issue before in the Photoshop 2019, where photoshop do not recognice the pen pressure. I fix it in the 2019 version, by not enabling the windows ink when I am in photoshop, but apparently this trick do not work in the new version, I did try all I could find online and nothing is working.

I can not use the Update because of that, I am using a Cintiq 22 in Windows 10.

What can be happening?

TOPICS
Collaboration, Creative Cloud, Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Pen Pressure not working new update photoshop 2020

Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had this issue before in the Photoshop 2019, where photoshop do not recognice the pen pressure. I fix it in the 2019 version, by not enabling the windows ink when I am in photoshop, but apparently this trick do not work in the new version, I did try all I could find online and nothing is working.

I can not use the Update because of that, I am using a Cintiq 22 in Windows 10.

What can be happening?

TOPICS
Collaboration, Creative Cloud, Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 05, 2019 4
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Have you added the PSUserConfig.txt file to the Adobe Photoshop 2020 settings folder, I had the same issue with Pen pressure but I just copied the file over from my CC 2019 settings folders

# Use WinTab
UseSystemStylus 0

image.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019 8
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows 10 my PSUserConfig.txt look like this and Pen pressure works in all versions of Photoshop usinf WinTab APIs includind CC 2020.  The some old reportted bugs are still not fixed in CC 2020 though.  The new Object Selection tool is and improvement over the quick selection tool

# Use WinTab in PS CC for Wacom Tablet not INK
UseSystemStylus 0
# CC 2019 20.0.5 supress warning about running scripts.
WarnRunningScripts 0

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019 1
Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work (the script) with Photoshop 2020. 

As Wacom Support suggests, turning the Windows Ink in the Wacom driver panel helps. In my case pen pressure is working now, but side pen buttons stopped (I use them as a RMB/MMB). There's no ideal sollution at the moment.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2019 0
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure the file name is PSUserConfig and no PSUserConfig.txt becouse Win 10 does not recognize it. I spent all day looking for the problem, and that was it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2020 5
Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, thanks to you I have fixed it.
In addition, you can fix your problem with ink by only enabling ink for PS and leave it out of other applications.

[update] 

I have fixed it without enabling and meddling with windows ink at all.
With a long time solution of creating .txt file
"PSUserConfig.txt"
with below line inside it, without quotes.

"UseSystemStylus 0"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 02, 2020 0
Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"PSUserConfig.txt"
"UseSystemStylus 0"

Configures Windows Photoshop CC versions to use Wintab API for Pen control that is not use its default INK API.   Your Pend Device driver must be using Wintab API. If that fixes your problem.  That Configuration file would not be required for Perpetual versions of Photoshop.  They only support Pen via Wintab API.  There was no Windows INK feature when those version of Photoshop were developed.

Adobe PSUserConfig.txt enable optional extensions photoshop cc 

Turn off System Stylus

Required Text Compatibility Old Plug-in Name
# Use WinTab
UseSystemStylus 0
  • Windows only
  • CC 2014 (v15.x or later)
N/A

On Windows 8 or later, Photoshop (CC 2014 or later) uses Windows Ink to control the interaction of Photoshop and a stylus device. Using Windows Ink gives you better stroke results and allows you to use your tablet PC or convertible device without having to install a driver.

If the tablet uses a WinTab driver and does not have an option to use Windows Ink, or if you encounter other issues, you can use Turn off System Stylus to force Photoshop to use WinTab.

See Tablet support for Photoshop for more information.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 02, 2020 3
Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

F0cking thanks you! how is it possible that adobe have done 3thousand version and there is still problem on wacom /windows compatibility... why not implementing this very simple script inside the setting menu
@adobe... wtf

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 29, 2020 4
Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its Adobe they broke WinTab support in the Photoshop 21.1.0 update.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 08, 2020 2
Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Same here!! Thanks for the tip

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2020 0
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same tried and true config file trick I've used for 5+ years is no longer working on Windows 10 (v 1909) with PS 21.2.1 and I'm really chapped. Workflow is basically at a standstill without pressure sensitivity. Anyone have another solution yet? Windows Ink enabled introduces other issues while using the Intuos in PS which are worse than not having pressure sensitivity.

How is this still a thing we have to deal with? Ridiculous.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 2
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is all your fault.  You should always keep more than one version of Photoshop installed so you can get you work done using some version of Photoshop.  Adobe bakes Photoshop regularly.

What issues are you having with INK they mate have been address or  there may be solutions.

If you want to use Photoshop you need to be able to work around Adobe's issues.

Mac does not have WinTab  or INK.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 0
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how serious your reply is... I've never had major issues with a new version past the XX.0 version. but to suggest I'm somehow at fault is laughable. Super helpful comment mate.

I've been a working professional using Wacom products with Adobe software for nearly 20 years and never had this level of difficulty with updates impeding my workflow.

When Ink is enabled I get stroke lag, errant strokes, delay, incorrect clicks, all sorts of problems. Not a viable solution anywhere I've found.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 4
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My reply is serious.

Have you verified your INK problems still exist with Windows 10 version 2004 and Photoshop 2020 version 21.2.1 when your Brush settings are reasonable not a huge size tip with spacing 1% and zoomed way out where a small brush stroke changes millions of pixels.

Adobe broke Photoshop WinTab support in version 20.1 I believe.  With Photoshop tool, WinTab support   and a Wacom pen I get all sort of wild tool behaviors. Selection to the top left and other bazaar behaviors. I do not have those problems with INK.   With other version of Photoshop I use WinTab support. With perpetual version you have  no choice for they Only have WinTab support they do not have support INK

You wrote When Ink is enabled I get stroke lag, errant strokes, delay, incorrect clicks, all sorts of problems. Not a viable solution anywhere I've found.

With my Windows Touch and pen settings, My Photoshop Brush settings and my Wacom preferences I do not seem to have your Problems on my old dell 2GHZ workstation with a Nvidia Quadro K2200 Display adapter.  I do not expect my machine to perform as well as machines with 3.6 GHz processors

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 0
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  disabled Windows Ink, rollback from PS 21.2.2 to PS 21.2.1 (Windows 10 v.1809) and WinTab works perfect with config file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020 4
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfectly? That is hard for me to believe.  Adobe broke Photoshop WinTab support in the 21.1 .   WinTab could be configured and would work but not perfectly. Tools like the Poly Lasso would have problems. That was what I also saw in newer updates including 21.2.1 what you are using.  In the 21.2.2 update I could not even get pen pressure to work in Photoshop configured to use WinTab interface.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020 0
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meen "Perfectly" in comparison with Windows Ink. Poly Lasso works good, without glitching to the top left. It is known issue for Intuos Pro PTH-451, 651, 851 - In Wireless mode on Windows 7 the pen will occasionally jump to the top left of your monitor. What you can do about it while we fix it: Connect the tablet via the USB cable if you experience this problem. https://cdn.wacom.com/u/productsupport/drivers/win/professional/releasenotes/Windows_6.3.40.html#6.3...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020 1
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, after the last PS update the PSUserConfig trick does not work, Now I have to work with the Windows Ink and it really slows my workflow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 2
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I  disabled Windows Ink, rollback from PS 21.2.2 to PS 21.2.1 (Windows 10 v.1809) and WinTab works perfect with config file." This was the right answer for me

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 3
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to go back to version 21.0.3 for WinTab support Adobe broke Photoshop WinTab support in the 21.1 update.  WinTab will function is some newer version of Photoshop but not perfectly tool will glitch when used with a pen.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works for me. Thank you!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
JJMack LATEST
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WinTab support has been fixed in the 21.2.3 update there is just a minor issue with the Lasso tool with Pen support .  You can not pan with the space bar press to switch to  the hand tool and pan with your pen.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, thank yo!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2020 0
Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This worked for me, I've been going crazy trying to figure out what happened to my pen pressure after the update. I had to add the txt file before in the 2018 version and I totally forgot about this solution. Many thanks, maybe I can actually get some work done now!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 19, 2020 1
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Si funciona, solo cuiden que el archivo no tenga el .txt escrito por ustedes, para que funcione correctamente.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2020 0
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to note that "PSUserConfig.txt" fix did work for me. Thanks, JJ and Ged!
CC2020 (21.03 release), Windows 10, with a Wacom Intuos 3.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 0
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did the same old trick, it works for PS 2020. I hope at some point Adobe add that damn script by default. Maybe Photoshop 2049 or so 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2020 0
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for trying to solve this, didn't work with that solution for my, runing PS 21.1.13 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 16, 2020 0
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just foudn the file ' PSUserConfig ' in my Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings folder, and it already had the text 
' UseSystemStylus 0 '. Though the full file is written like this, do I need to change anything?
# Use WinTab
UseSystemStylus 0

# Use Legacy Healing Brush
LegacyHealingBrush 1

# Disable Scratch Compression for fast HDD

VMCompressionPages 0

# Use Overscrolling

OverscrollingAlways 2

What do I need to do as I still have the pen pressure problem using Photoshop 2020?
And do I need the rest of these listed commands? 

Please let me know, I am stuck and I am so excited for Photoshop and furthing my knowledge of the program. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For painting the best option for now is to revert back to 21.2.1. So leave the PSUserConfig.txt file unchanged, make sure that Windows Ink is disabled and downgrade. Don't forget to backup your settings folder before that or you will lose your settings.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 1
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded the 21.2.3 update (0607 GMT) , and it works!

Photoshop is back to PSUserConfig and disabling Windows Ink! Woooooooo!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 1
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered this problem only today but it happend while I was updating and suddenly all sorts of popups opened up. "Camera Raw" was the popup that I couldn't get it off and had to restart my laptop.

I have tried the PSUserConfig - UseSystemStylus 0 on all the versions that I curently have. But nothing seems to work. I don't know what to do anymore 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 0
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was Photoshop update to 21.2.3 or did the update fail?

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 0
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did just updated it. and it says that it is up to date ... but the problem is still there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 1
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you configured to use WinTab or INK.  To configure for INK you tablet  device needs to be  configured to use windows INK with Photoshop or All applications including including  Photoshop. You should not have a PSUserConfig.txt in you Photoshop's preferences folder.

I use WinTab with Photoshop and my Wacom pen my configuration look like this:

image.png

image.pngimage.png

Disable Press and Hold Right Click.

image.png

PSUserConfig.txt in my user ID PS 2020 Preferences folder

image.pngimage.png

Tip Double Click distance off and Pen Mapping  use Windows INK  NOT Checked.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 0
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My pen pressure doesn't work anymore. I have updated photoshop and it is now up to day. I tried resetting the Prefs settings but no matter what I do the pen pressure is just not responding. I don't know what to do anymore. I already did the PSUserConfig.txt UseSystemStylus 0 trick but that doesn't seem to work. please help! my incom depents on this 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 1
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What hardware are you using you seem to be the only one having problems with 21.2.3?. If you using a Wacom tablet does its diagnostic show every thing is working

image.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 0
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 21.2.3 update did not fix WinTab for me either. Still stuck using Windows Ink. Wacom driver is up-to-date, as is Windows 10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 1
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even jornh86739666 got their pen working after reinstalling their Wacom driver.  Now there only seem to be a minor problem with  panning with tools that need to pan the image by switching to the hand toll via Space Bar.   The Wintab issue prevents the space bar switch to the hand tool  panning can not be done with Pen or Mouse.  With INK the space bar will switch to Hand Tool however you can not pan with the pen but you can pan with a Mouse.

image.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 0
Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly Adobe broke something with CC2020 - have the same problem - PSUserConfig.txt for wintab works perfectly well in PS 20.x.x - NOT working in PS 21.x.x 

Can't we ever have an point update without someone breaking core functionality? 

See my other post about this - no reply from Adobe yet 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/bug-wintab-not-working-in-2020-21-0-1 

UPDATE : I've gotten wintab to work on a new fresh windows install on a new workstation - so thats great - strange thing is that pressure sensitivity is NOT working at all on this config in PS2020 UNLESS wintab is enabled. wtf? On 20.x.x on new install everything is normal. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2019 3
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the config file thing is not working for me and im lucky to have a very old wacom bamboo that my drivers dont have that options that the newer ones have so im stuck not being able to use my wacom on photoshop. The thing is, its only with photoshop... people are "blamming" on windows ink but everything else works fine for me. 

Problems i do have: 
First touch dont "paint" as it loads some windows ink circle

If i do disable windows ink my wacom dont work on photoshop with pressure anymore.

What is amazing is that this is a problem we can find in the forums for more than 2 years with no solution!!!! 

Thats another reason people are really talking about leaving Adobe ecosystem. I wish i could anytime soon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2020 2
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tweet microsoft, photoshop and wacom, to see if they can address this issue, or bug. have a good time everyone. Tweeted from @Bookinco

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can they address it? Only Adobe can.  They like us can only comment on the issues. Or did you mean Adobe when you typed Photoshop.  Adobe is well aware of the issues lets hope that Adobe address them.   Photoshop 21.0.3 works.......

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure a mean adobe, but as long did on twitter and the specific issue is on PS I mentioned PS instead of adobe. lets wait until this can be solved. or use the wacom pen as a mouse. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To solve the problem currently you use Photoshop 2020 version 21.0.3 and use WinTab. Only Adobe can fix Photoshop....

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And they are the only ones we are going to quit... there are other alternatives and all the apps I have got are working as intended with my tablet... Seems they are looking for a monopoly of incompetence.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 1