• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

pen pressure not working on Photoshop cc 2020 v 21.2.2

Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just starting today, probably due to the new update, Photoshop will no longer use pen pressure. The wacom properties recognizes pen pressure just fine, but it is only photoshop I've found that won't use pen pressure anymore. I have tried everything,

- Shutting down and booting up my computer, restarting my computer, and photoshop itself.

-  Putting the PSUserConfig into the photoshop settings folder.

- Turning on windows ink, with and without the PSUserConfig text file.

- Reinserting my tablet USB into another port. and the list probably goes on.

Some other unique info, when looking into "Shape Dynamics" under brush settings, the little triangle with the "!" inside it next to where I can select "Pen Pressure," appear and reappear randomly, at least from my testing. However, it doesn't matter if the triangle is there or not, pen pressure still does not work either way. I'm not sure if that info was useful but there it is just in case. I use a windows 10 btw.

I make a weekly comic series, I have work to do. And I really can't work without Photoshop using pen pressure, please respond soon!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Photoshop 20.1 and newer you need to use Windows INK API for Pen control Adobe Broke Photoshop WinTab.

I have not been able to find a way to turn off Windows 10 Pen Feedback Cursors  Ctrl, Shift, ALT. Win you see on screen  when you use pen and ink.   Photoshop Clone stamp  Brush  Stroke tracking does not work when you use Pen and INK Tracking will work using a mouse.  Some user had performance problems with Brush Lag using INK.  The problem is Adobe Broke Photoshop winTab support so you have not choice  you have to use window INK if you want to use a Pen with Photoshop

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what Windows INK "API" is supposed to mean, I have already tried turning on windows ink but alas it still did not fix the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have configured your device driver for your pen device to user windows INK with Photoshop?  For example a Wacom Tablet Photoshop preferenceslike this

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have tried this, one of the first things I did. It still does not work, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then there is something wrong with your installations. Try resetting your Photoshop Preferences and all tools settings.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still did not work unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back a few steps.

You need to ensure Windows Ink is checked in your tablet properties for Photoshop (it is settable by application).

You also need to remove the PSUserConfig.txt file.

Restart Photoshop.

Then, to test, pick from "General Brushes" the "Soft Round Pressure Size" brush.

Now test

Dave

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it stated in the post that I've already tried this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually you didn't. After removing the PSUserConfig file and enabling Windows Ink in the tablet you must restart Photoshop, otherwise the switch to Windows Ink will not be seen by Photoshop.

As JJ Mack states, the use of Windows Ink is the only option for pen pressure in v21.2.2.

If you can't make the switch with those simple steps, you may need to reset PS preferences and/or reset or reinstall your tablet driver.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem with v21.2.2 (no pen pressure). Davescm's suggestion worked for me:

1. Remove or rename PSUserConfig file
  2. Check "Use Windows Ink" in wacom tablet setting
  3. Restart Photoshop

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had the same exact issue as you, no matter what I did pen pressure wouldn't work + I had those same warning signs next to pen pressure in the brush settings. I was desperate because I need photoshop so in the end I just installed the previous version (21.2.1) back before this new update (21.2.2), disabled windows ink, added the PSUserConfig text file back and pen pressure works again.

I know it doesn't solve the current issue but at least there's pen pressure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^  This is the correct answer. 

Back up all settings, then ROLL BACK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

create a file in "C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings"
called
PSUserConfig.txt

with this text

# Use WinTab
UseSystemStylus 0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mike

Wintab no longer works in the latest version v 21.2.2. Windows Ink is now the only option for pen pressure.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that when using Windows ink in 21.2.2, pen pressure only works as long as you don't interact with any extension windows (like Coolorus, Brusherator etc.). If you click in an extension window, pen pressure is gone again. It returns once you click with the mouse within Photoshop. But it's gone again when you interact with an extension. So this is only an option if you don't use extensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have your same problem! 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here!

I activated Windows Ink in my Wacom Settings and renamed the PSUserconfig file. Now the pen pressure in Photoshop works again but since I have to use Windows ink, Lightroom is not useable right now.

With Windows Ink enabled, the sliders in Lightroom lag very badly... So hopefully, this is fixed very soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im still tryng with Windows ink, but im not sure if i hav selected all the right parameter...
When you say renamed, it means only to esclude it from his function?

kind regards

Massimo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set use of  Windows Ink by application in the Wacom tablet properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same poblem, i revert to the previous version.
Adobe, I think the creative suite  subscription is expensive enough for users to finally have compatibility between wacom / photoshop / windows10 without having to hack ... the problem has been going on for a long time now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really long time, this is not normal anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but if I only add Photoshop in the Wacom properties, pen pressure does not work in PS. I added Photoshop in the properties. Do I need to add another application to make it work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really hoping Adobe is finding a way to bring back the "PSUserConfig.txt"-file-solution.

I for now downgraded (to the previous Version) but now my presets are completely gone, which is probably known. But I do really wonder why keyboardshortcuts, Canvas presets etc are turned to default when I downgrade via the Creative Cloud App.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only Adobe can can fix Photoshop use their feedback site. If many users do perhaps Adobe may.  There have been 6 updateds after Adobe broke in update 21.1 which was reported to Adobe. We have updates 21.1.1, 21.1.2, 21.1.3, 21.2,  21.2.1 and not 21.2.2.  IMO its not looking good.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines