Pen Pressure on CS6 Not Working

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got an HP Pavilion x360, which functions as both a laptop and a tablet, and I've been working on reinstalling CS6 all day, but when I flipped it over into tablet mode and tried to draw with my HP stylus, the pen pressure function did not work. Next to the controls, it showed the little triangle with the exclamation point. I've opened the app with the stylus, putting commands in notepad, updating photoshop, and tried to fiddle with windows ink and so far nothing has worked, and I have no idea what to try next. I've seen that photoshop isn't compatible with "touch," but the threads were old, so I don't know how accurate they were. I've had this problem with my bamboo tablet before, but none of the things that it worked to fix it worked for this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Pen Pressure on CS6 Not Working

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got an HP Pavilion x360, which functions as both a laptop and a tablet, and I've been working on reinstalling CS6 all day, but when I flipped it over into tablet mode and tried to draw with my HP stylus, the pen pressure function did not work. Next to the controls, it showed the little triangle with the exclamation point. I've opened the app with the stylus, putting commands in notepad, updating photoshop, and tried to fiddle with windows ink and so far nothing has worked, and I have no idea what to try next. I've seen that photoshop isn't compatible with "touch," but the threads were old, so I don't know how accurate they were. I've had this problem with my bamboo tablet before, but none of the things that it worked to fix it worked for this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 13, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 only uses WinTab API for Pen control does your HP Tablet software have an option to use wintab API with Photoshop Not use Windows 10 INK API? with my Wacom Intuos tablet I set UP Pen Mapping for Photoshop Not to use Windows INK for Photoshop be foe all other Applications to use Windows INK.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, I've encountered many possible fixes over several forums and tried all but none were actually still working in my particular case somehow. I now came up with a solution that seems to fix the case for me, the usual totally gone pressure sensitivity, finally after, without exaggerating, 24h+ own research needed. It was working fine up until a point at which it just magically stopped working despite pressure still being active even on online sites such as [Link removed by moderator]; meanwhile seriously considered not using Photoshop anymore.

Experimental desperate solution so try on your own precaution 🙂

How come this was not yet suggest wonders me but maybe this problem appeard to be newly arrising as windows 10 is now cutting short on drivers due to their advancing win ink tryhard: incase win ink doesn't work and Wintab drivers are not even installed anymore and must therefore be supplied if- in any case- a customer wants to NOT use the windows ink version that is now apparently demanded to be used. 

So after noticing that I'll need to reinstall the driver as even the oldest wacom available intous pro driver does not install wintab apparently. I'm using ps cs6, that all sites are systematically taken down for it's support is a shame and another point where I will try to hold myself from loosing the line here, together with a new Wacom Intuos pro M (2017) , now I wouldn't have even come here to complain yet I then downloaded the new cc 21 version just to realize pressure sensitivity is not working here either (win ink on, all older drivers purged as suggested in 14. here https://machollywood.com/blogs/news/how-to-troubleshoot-uninstall-and-reinstall-wacom-drivers , wacom driver 6.3.41-1). 

I then searched internets last corner and quite soon found a reddit post suggesting a wintab download as I couldn't find a clean minimalistic version of it as N-trig (devs of wintab as far as I understood) seems to be off nowadays as well. Post of an still running microsoft mirror is already 5 years old but still worked like a charm for me: https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3b7l3h/cant_get_ntrig_wintab_drivers_anywhere_other_pro/ or direct dl: https://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/7/2073C22F-2F31-4F4A-8059-E54C91C564A9/Wintab-1.0.0.18-6...

Now note that it won't directly work after Wintab installation- uninstall wacom driver (I did it after installing wintab ontop), do all reboots as it is probably usual routine for you already by now - then reinstall whatever wacom driver suits you best (in my case 6.3.41-1 works). We will then turn off Windows Ink, as usual, start photoshop and see if it worked by creating a new document and trying the pencil (as sometimes the error triangle just pops away after moving pen close enough into tablet reach so PS can recognize the pencil in current session). 

Now I did another little adjustment incase it still doesn't work for you (regarding the custom PSUserConfig.txt- it was not necessary incase of cs6 but guess for cc it could be incase you try this fix) then try deleting user prefs in appdata/roaming/adobe/adobe Photoshop [your version]; (note that this will delete all your user prefs as expected, so might as well cut them into another folder for the test of it)- so photoshop will create new defaults on launch. (win+r   then enter %appdata% to shortcut to the roaming folder)

So comming back to it I'm really baffled to see that none of the new arrising suggestions that fix anything came from actual official staff, most likely as it's completly uninteresting to even support older legacy drivers despite the obviously striking high demand in community.  I hope this approach can save someone from spending as much time as I did though I really have no clue what exactly happend there - as the win ink fix (turn off click and hold feature is gone in my windows version by now - now called pen & windows ink settings shows different options)- so I really would even like to give you further information on the process that was causing the problem but it completly does not make any sense to me besides that cs6 wouldn't have the up to date support that cc enjoys- however the error was same there (cc21) even after a reboot so really no clue what could have caused this despite maybe incompatibility with other software ~ such as logitechs G drivers or anything hypothetical as such.. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2021 0